Spraypainting plywood roof boards

Featured Posts

Hello

We want a white ceiling but do not want to use white hardboard (nasty). I saw recently a boat that had its lining spraypainted white, very thin coat with the wood grain showing through. It looked good - natural thin coat of paint.

Question 1 - What kind of paint would be the best?

I am thinking maybe bathroom emulsion paint so it would not peel if it gets slightly damp (it shouldn't really, only in bathroom). I'd like it matt or "silky" finish. Also if I spray two very thin coats it less likely to peel.

Question 2 - What kind of ply would have nice grain but not too expensive as it will be painted?

Question 3 - Any other ways of having a white ceiling?

Thanks

Frog :-)

I am thinking maybe bathroom emulsion paint so it would not peel if it gets slightly damp (it shouldn't really, only in bathroom). I'd like it matt or "silky" finish. Also if I spray two very thin coats it less likely to peel.

Question 2 - What kind of ply would have nice grain but not too expensive as it will be painted?

We planned to lime-wash (ish) our new tongue and groove ceiling, but have got to the point of quite liking the pine, so haven't done it yet.

The plan was to use watered white matt emulsion, painted with a brush.

We're going for painted wall panels, framed with hardwood, for the new boat, and we're planning on using white melamine-faced ply, then painting.

For a grained panel ceiling, decent B-faced ply should be good enough, if you like the sort of finish. Worth choosing your individual boards carefully from the yard. The new place we've found in Leamington has supplied some B/B far-eastern ply for very sensible money recently, which would probably be okay as a 'finish' product.

Or, 6mm real-wood-faced ply is cheap enough, at around £20 a sheet, for ceiling use, which you could then apply a white wash to.

PC

Hello

We want a white ceiling but do not want to use white hardboard (nasty). I saw recently a boat that had its lining spraypainted white, very thin coat with the wood grain showing through. It looked good - natural thin coat of paint.

Thanks

Frog :-)

For a durable finish if its a wash type finish emulsion thinned then a covering of a trade laquer would be best. one of the trade laquer suppliers would supply a brushing 2 pack suitable for bar tops etc it is very good. some one like Morrels woodfinishings or Bolloms will have a distributor nearish I would google Morrells they are nationwide. :lol:

Thanks both! So maybe I do not need to paint the sheets with a paint gun after all. I will get a piece of ply and try thinned emulsion, and laquer on top (if I can find a small quantity of laquer cheaply). I want a matt finish (or possibly satin). I will see how a laquered finish looks like.

I am thinking of a paint gun because I'd like a white finish, not quite like lime effect, but a thin opaque layer of paint so that you can still tell it's wood but not see the wood, just a hint of the the texture. (I am explaining myself SO clearly! :lol: )

We're going for painted wall panels, framed with hardwood, for the new boat, and we're planning on using white melamine-faced ply, then painting.

Not quite sure what you mean - you are going to paint over melamin finish? Surely that won't stick? And won't melamin look a bit "plastic"? (unless you paint it as you said)