The Wash

bastonjock

Featured Posts

Okay guys here goes,sorry for the suspenders :lol:

I left Peterborough yacht Club on friday at around 4pm,i had booked my passage through the dog and doublet for 5pm,i went through the lock okay but the weed was bad,i had to stop and clear my prop.I motored on down the tidal nene,keeping it to 5mph as the depth guage showed 3ft,im assured that there is about another 2ft of soft mud.At the first bend there are rocks on the bank,so it is best to hug the left hand side as there are possible rocks on the center/right side.After the bend i opened up as the depth guage showed 6ft there was plenty of depth after that all the way down.

The tidal section of the nene is more interesting than the sections of the middle level,it is a bit straight at times but enjoyable all the same,as long as im on my boat im happy.I could look over the fields if i stood up on the deck.We passed a small herd of chestnut horses and plenty of sheep could be seen on the opposite bank,as we approached Guyhurns old bridge,or rather whats left of it there is a large sign warning the helmsman of the pontoon at guyhurn,we contunued our journey along the banks that run parralell with the A47,a couple of passingmotorists and a truck driver who were delighted at seeing a craft on the river gave out a toot of the horn and a friendly wave.

The river banks changed from the green topped reeds with a smattering of mudd at their roots to having large stone and concrete blocks and the afore mentioned flora,the weather was good,not great but good with a bit of sun and cloud.Wisbech apeared,at first a building or two then as we rounded a bend,the old Georgan houses of the once wealthy town merchants reached up from the banks,the aproach to Freedom Bridge was uneventfull,this bridge can have some strong currents but this time the tide was on neaps so there were no surprises.The brown cloured nene turns under freedom bridge to reveal the new marina,moorings and diesel are available and there are one or two interesting boats to be seen,the marina comes to an end after about 500 yards and the structure of the old port takes over,the banks at this point are shored up and have a quay supported by steels rammed into the banks,wood and scrap metal appear to be the current flavour of commerce.The river twists once again and the yaght station with its 75 ton lift is on your starboard side,past this the town starts to dwindle and the traveller is left once again with a quite river.There are an abundance of ducks and Dippers on this section and the odd seal popped up for a curious look,the sea becons and the Towers of the power station at Long Sutton are clearly visable.The bridge apraoch is well sign posted and as you are entering a commercial area there are traffic lights to warn of large ships,the river at this point is about 60-70 ft wide.

We went under sutton bridge,the port looks like it had has better times but it is still in fair condition,the moorings for the pilot boats and other private craft are on the left side,i spotted the Wisbech yacht club pontoon and after turning around to point upward,we made fast to the pontoon,our next step was to rig the boat for sailing.After our evening meal we retired for the night,it was about 10 PM.

The alarms buzzed at 4Am,this was when i expected high tide and the first of the morning light,after a quick coffee we set off,a few hundred yards down on the left of the port area there is a small seal colony at this point we encountered the first markers for the channel,the channel was showing a good depth on the sounder and was very clearly marked and easy to follow as we were heading out to sea the bouyage was red to our right and green to our left,the yellow cardinal marks warn of danger and must be correctly observed.The shallowest part of the channel showed 8ft and the tide guage read 4 meters at that time.The winds were South westerly and at a guess blew 10-15mph,the sea state was slight.

I left the wisbech channell and spent the next 12 hours putting my new rig through its paces,i had a very enjoyable weekend,I returned by the same route and stopped off at Sutton to de-rig and then at the pontoon at Guyhurn for our evening feed,the next morning we left at 5.30 Am,it was a beautifull morning as i looked abck along the straight before Guyhurn,the morning dew was present and the Sun was burning off the morning mist on the river.We stopped at the brand new pontoon at the Dog and Doublet to wait on the lock keeper,a guy called mick who was a very pleasant and helpfull chap,we locked through and completed the trip.

ANy questions folks and ill do my best to answer them

BJ