Mains meter on inverter

Justme

Featured Posts

How accurate will a mains "house" type meter be whilst running on a pure sine inverter?

(and a genny come to that)

Will it being E&N bonded after the meter affect its readings?

If its accurate our power consumption is quite a bit LESS than I have calculated it to be.

Justme

I can't see any reason why a mains meter would not be accurate on a pure sine inverter but I doubt one could cope with a quasi sine (square) wave inverter.

The earth neutral bond should not have any effect, on most houses there is a PME system of mains supply which is essentially the same thing.

It might be worth trying it out by using a known steady load such as a 1000w kettle and see if the reading corresponds.

Regards

Arnot

How accurate will a mains "house" type meter be whilst running on a pure sine inverter?

(and a genny come to that)

Will it being E&N bonded after the meter affect its readings?

If its accurate our power consumption is quite a bit LESS than I have calculated it to be.

Justme

Yea should be accurate as long as its a pure sine.

Try using a multi meter. run 2 light bulbs one on mains one on your inverter.... If the lights are the same brightness (there is another word for that but my spelling is naff) and the meter gives the same readings on both bulbs you got your sums right.