Llangollen closure

dor

Featured Posts

Grindley Brook Locks 3 and 4

Monday 27 July 2009 until further notice

Due to a canal failure early on Monday 27th July, the canal pound betweet Grindley Brook Locks 3 and 4 is currently dewatered and the canal is closed to navigation.

Movement through locks may be restricted between Hurleston Locks and Grindley Brook whilst water levels are restored.

If 3 and 4 is twix the bottom of the staircase and the first single lock that is where they put a new edge in last winter. It is also the place where, due to BW allowing 3 up and 3 down the staircase you have boats stacked up in a small place anf generally banging around. As it is below the staircase BW don't visit much - they supervise the staircase - so you get some really strange goings on down there in the day.

If 3 and 4 is twix the bottom of the staircase and the first single lock that is where they put a new edge in last winter. It is also the place where, due to BW allowing 3 up and 3 down the staircase you have boats stacked up in a small place anf generally banging around. As it is below the staircase BW don't visit much - they supervise the staircase - so you get some really strange goings on down there in the day.

This was how it looked in early June.

P1000267.jpg

The locks are being closed tonight, but they have sorted out the flow at #gridley Brook, so water supply should be back to normal tomorrow. They have to send the water down - it's needed for Crewe!

The locks are being closed tonight, but they have sorted out the flow at #gridley Brook, so water supply should be back to normal tomorrow. They have to send the water down - it's needed for Crewe!

Sod Crewe...We need to hit Hurleston tomorrow afternoon!

:lol:

They have to send the water down - it is needed at Crewe and if it's off for more than two days BW have to pay compensation!

Of course that water does not go down Hurleston locks as the reservoir for Crewe is above the locks.

They have to send the water down - it is needed at Crewe and if it's off for more than two days BW have to pay compensation!

Of course that water does not go down Hurleston locks as the reservoir for Crewe is above the locks.

So does the water company pay BW for it's water - or contribute towards maintaining the canal I wonder?

That information is commerially confidential! (Direct quote from BW when asked this question.)

I guess then this particular stretch of the Shroppie is seldom without water then. I'm glad I'm not living in Crewe having seen what some boaters throw buckets of into the canal!

I guess then this particular stretch of the Shroppie is seldom without water then. I'm glad I'm not living in Crewe having seen what some boaters throw buckets of into the canal!

Llangollen?

But no, the llangollen is not a canal that sufferes water shortage issues, and at night, the flow rate increases even more so.

Daniel

Whn I first moved to the Nantwich area I joked about the proximity of the reservoir to the canal at Hurleston. "I hope they are not pumping it out of the canal Ha Ha" sort of thing.

Then I discovered the truth! Still, I was right about them not pumping it out, it just flows straight in.

Llangollen?

If you mean "do you mean the Llangollen not the Shroppie?" then if we're being picky it's the Llangollen arm of the Shropshire Union.

Any news on progress with assessment/ repairs? Be interesting to see how it affects traffic at my end - Fewer big green Alvechurch, but more big orange Viking boats would be my guess.

Not suprised if its the non towpath side. Boats exiting the staircase have no moorings and finish up on the mud on the far side waiting for access to lock 4 which is invariably nicked by upcoming boats. When it is there turn its usual to see full ahead to get off the mud with water cascading all over the bank and into the grounds of the adjacent cottage. Not given to carrying a theodalite around with me but the ground on the far side visually looks to be below canal level hence the problem.

If you mean "do you mean the Llangollen not the Shroppie?" then if we're being picky it's the Llangollen arm of the Shropshire Union.

Any news on progress with assessment/ repairs? Be interesting to see how it affects traffic at my end - Fewer big green Alvechurch, but more big orange Viking boats would be my guess.

According to my tolls map it was (up to nationalisation) ... The Shropshire Union Canals (Hurleston Junction to Newtown).

This full title has always confused those that make maps so ordinance survey ones have Shopshire Union on chucks of the above route.

Stoppage: Grindley Brook Locks 3 and 4

Associated Regional Office: BW Wales & Borders

Update 28th July 2009 12.00 noon

At 11.00am today navigation was restored through the Grindley Brook Lock Flight.

PLEASE NOTE - Navigation through the lock flight will be via assisted passage only during the hours of 7am to 7pm, the lock flight will be closed to navigation after 7pm.

On arrival at Grindley Brook Lock Flight please follow instructions of the lock keepers to ensure your smooth transit through the flight.

Some delays may be experienced through the Grindley Brook Lock Flight during the next 3 to 4 weeks whilst the permanent repairs are undertaken, customers therefore may wish to consider planning an alterative route at this time.

HURLESTON LOCK FLIGHT - All restrictions have now been removed from these locks.

FRANKTON LOCK FLIGHT - The extended opening hours for Frankton Lock passage will remain in place until Friday 31st July 2009.

We thank you for your patience and we apologise for any inconvenience caused during the emergency works

_

If you want to be really picky the Llangollen is actually the Ellesmere Canal and the Junction at Hurleston is made with the Nantwich Canal.

From other years one wonders what happens after 31st July at Frankton. One year it was closed but with this years rain one hopes.

16 Mar 2009 until further notice Restriction: Frankton Staircase Lock 1 - 3 - Opening Times

Summer operating hours: 12pm until 2pm Monday to Sunday. Bookings must be made BEFORE 10am on the day of passage.

Only boats with a booking will be allowed passage through the locks. Please note no passages will be allowed outside the published hours.

To book a passage telephone 01606 723800 during normal office hours 7 days a week

(Enquiries: 01606 723800)

16 Mar 2009 until further notice Restriction: Frankton Staircase Lock 1 - 3 - Opening Times

Summer operating hours: 12pm until 2pm Monday to Sunday. Bookings must be made BEFORE 10am on the day of passage.

Only boats with a booking will be allowed passage through the locks. Please note no passages will be allowed outside the published hours.

To book a passage telephone 01606 723800 during normal office hours 7 days a week

(Enquiries: 01606 723800)

Someone can correct me (again :lol: ), but isn't there is an agreement with NE/CCW over the number of boat movements, as well as the amount of water diverted down?