Llangollen Canal

Geoff

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm trying to decide on where to go for this years trip and fancy the Llangollen Canal.

I've been having a look at the Boaters Guides on Waterscape and it says

"Trevor to Llangollen:

From Trevor to

Llangollen the canal is very shallow,

accentuating the flow down-stream. It is not

recommended for boats drawing more then 21

inches. It is also, in places very narrow."

As my boat draws about 2ft 3in (27in") do anybody know if its really too shallow for me to get through?

Cheers

Geoff

Hi All

I'm trying to decide on where to go for this years trip and fancy the Llangollen Canal.

I've been having a look at the Boaters Guides on Waterscape and it says

"Trevor to Llangollen:

From Trevor to

Llangollen the canal is very shallow,

accentuating the flow down-stream. It is not

recommended for boats drawing more then 21

inches. It is also, in places very narrow."

As my boat draws about 2ft 3in (27in") do anybody know if its really too shallow for me to get through?

Cheers

Geoff

30" and no problems of any consequence.

Mike.

Edited by onthecut

If you can get down it the last bit is worth it. As I recall anything up to 30" is OK if it is in full water. If the water is down a bit you may struggle if you are at the maximum. It is also narrow in places and will not allow boats to pass. There are "laybys" etc and because it is nearly always busy you will be following other boats and progress will be slow. However, more time to enjoy the Dee valley and the Berwyn Mountains in the distance.

When you get there take a horse boat ride down the lat bit of channel (very shallow there and motor boats not allowed) and/or take a train ride down one of the most scenic heritage railway routes on the Llangollen railway.

You never know I may be working on the railway as a signalman. I shall be working in the Llangollen station box this Saturday.

Edited by churchward

You never know I may be working on the railway as a signalman. I shall be working in the Llangollen station box this Saturday.

If I do get that way August time I'll pop in and see you - I'm still on the Railway having spent 35 years in the Signalling grades

Geoff

We have taken Fulbourne, at 71 ft 6 in by 7 ft 0.5 in by 3 ft draft up to Llangollen. The section from Trevor to Llangollen is very narrow, but apart from that was easier than further down where we scraped through a few bridgeholes.

You won't get beyond Llangollen unless you draw only a few inches as there is a gravel bar across the channel.

I've seen photos of an Ex GUCCC, Town Class motor at the Gauging House.

I've seen photos of an Ex GUCCC, Town Class motor at the Gauging House.

The gravel bar is a relatively recent feature added to prevent people going beyond the winding hole.

Upstream the canal is generally reasonably deep

If I do get that way August time I'll pop in and see you - I'm still on the Railway having spent 35 years in the Signalling grades

Geoff

If I am there I would be glad to see you. You will know more than me about signalling no doubt as I am just a volenteer signalman and never don ethe job on the mainline! :lol:

The section from Trevor is not the shallow bit now (my boat draws 3' underway and I have never had problems there). The shallowest parts are between Ellesmere and New Marton, where the towpath is closed because most of it is in the cut, but it's only soft mud and won't stop you.

The section from Trevor is not the shallow bit now (my boat draws 3' underway and I have never had problems there). The shallowest parts are between Ellesmere and New Marton, where the towpath is closed because most of it is in the cut, but it's only soft mud and won't stop you.

Towpath has been reinstated and a lot of dredging went on last year along this stretch. When did you last come up here? I ask as I draw easily less than 20" and it was never a problem for me beforehand, so I wouldn't notice if it was still a problem.

A good test is to see if you bounce on your way around the long left-hand bend just after the Poachers Pocket pub. If you don't notice anything there, you shouldn't have problems further on.

The shallowest point between Trevor and Llan is where the 'old' concrete section is still in situ a mile upstream of Trevor. There are the remains of a dam under the water and if you can ride over that then you'll be fine.

A good test is to see if you bounce on your way around the long left-hand bend just after the Poachers Pocket pub. If you don't notice anything there, you shouldn't have problems further on.

The shallowest point between Trevor and Llan is where the 'old' concrete section is still in situ a mile upstream of Trevor. There are the remains of a dam under the water and if you can ride over that then you'll be fine.

What is that bounce by poachers, scaried the buggery out of me the first time i went over it, sometimes i hit it sometimes not :lol: