Counter set up.

Featured Posts

Does anyone know why I have this extra bit on my swim? I have not seen this before.

Thanks

CopyofIMGP7761.jpg

My guess is that someone has left it there as a wear strip. It is in the right place to take the scraping as you pull away from the towpath. Otherwise I can't see an obvious reason.

Roger

Edited to add: I assume that you have another identical one on the other side?

Edited by Albion

My guess is that someone has left it there as a wear strip. It is in the right place to take the scraping as you pull away from the towpath. Otherwise I can't see an obvious reason.

Roger

Edited to add: I assume that you have another identical one on the other side?

Yes there is the identical on the other side.

The boat was built in the early 80’s so an aid to get out of the water was not really thought about then as far as I know. On my other newer boat it had a proper foot plate for getting out and it was only the size of a shoe sole. This is about 1m long, has been there some time though not original as I can see the burnt paint on the inside of the swim where it was added.

It is 6mm plate which continues flush with the existing sides then has the sacrificial edge welded on like a “T” same as the base plate.

I was wondering of it was put on because the counter was out of the water because it was once front heavy maybe.

All this is a bit unknown as I bought her on a hard standing so have never seen how she sits in the drink.

the name says it all.
Soon to be "Nettle" :lol:

An old boatman told me that you could set up the trim on an old working boat so that the counter was well out of the water, and a wooden wedge was attached to the counter to deflect water downwards.Much like Liam said an anti cavitation device.This set up would do similar, retaining water around the prop if the tips were piercing the water. I think!!!