I 'inherited' a strange rubber matress thingy...

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

This isn't an 'earth shattering ' topic. When I bought my boat there was a strange coarse matting 'thing' under the matress. I have found out that its is coconut matting with a rubber coating. I nearly slung it out but someone said ' its important for airing the matress'. Its about 6mm thick and sits upon the bed support which is MDF board which has 15mm holes in it ( so it airs anyway ) . Do people think these are really any use ?. The reason I ask..is that it 'honks' especially with the hotter weather !!. The bedroom takes on a very strange hot rubber smell and I think people are starting to avoid me in the street. What do you think ?. Cheers. Bob

This isn't an 'earth shattering ' topic. When I bought my boat there was a strange coarse matting 'thing' under the matress. I have found out that its is coconut matting with a rubber coating. I nearly slung it out but someone said ' its important for airing the matress'. Its about 6mm thick and sits upon the bed support which is MDF board which has 15mm holes in it ( so it airs anyway ) . Do people think these are really any use ?. The reason I ask..is that it 'honks' especially with the hotter weather !!. The bedroom takes on a very strange hot rubber smell and I think people are starting to avoid me in the street. What do you think ?. Cheers. Bob

Keep it, I bough some artificial horse hair to put under our mattress because we got condensation on the bed board.

Personnally I'd keep it but take it out and test the bed without it (preferably in winter).

If it makes no difference in terms of condensation then you can sling it out.

Edit: Assuming the area under the bed is hollow and has some opportunity for airflow, wouldn't wooden slats under the mattress instead of a solid base work just as well as (or even better than) this rubberised mat?

Edited by blackrose