Home Schooling

CJR

Featured Posts

Hi all. Well, I am taking advantage of my recent redundancy and cruising the Irish waterways while I am home teaching our 10 year old daughter (at least until the end of term).

I have just come across this website which seems to have loads of good links and information on a range of subjects : http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/index.htm

It was good to find a good resource for British history and customs (which are a bit hard to come by in Ireland!). Does anyone else home teach and have any other good links or advice? :lol:

I don't home-school, but I am a full-time primary school teacher (currently teaching year 4 children). Here are a couple of websites that might be of some use:

www.primaryresources.co.uk

www.standards.dfes.gov.uk

www.bbc.co.uk/schools

www.teachingideas.co.uk

www.byteachers.org.uk

If I think of any more I'll add them...

All the best, Tom.

Edited by tomandsophie

I don't home-school, but I am a full-time primary school teacher (currently teaching year 4 children). Here are a couple of websites that might be of some use:

www.primaryresources.co.uk

www.standards.dfes.gov.uk

www.bbc.co.uk/schools

www.teachingideas.co.uk

www.byteachers.org.uk

If I think of any more I'll add them...

All the best, Tom.

These are great! Thanks Tom. I will have a busy weekend now! I did not realise how much I would enjoy teaching (maybe because I am learning too?), although I don't think I would fancy teaching beyond primary age!!

Thanks again, Rach :lol:

Whilst I see the necessity for home schooling whilst cruising I just don't understand the reasons for home schooling when people are living in one place.

There are many many reasons for home schooling,ranging from personal choice to children with a huge range of special needs.

Many LEA's simply cannot provide a suitable environment or education for some pupils and parents pefer to home educate them. In many cases youngsters don't/can't fit in and phobias as a result of bullying etc. often cause such major issues that it is better not to be sent to school.

No child in this country is required to attend school,all that is needed is for a parent/carer to show that adequate provision is being made.

Take a look around the private sector special needs arena and you will find a massive educational program filled with those that mainstream education failed to/could not/would not educate.

The National Autistic Society has been campaigning long and hard to get legislation in place to make local authorities provide care and education for those in need (this includes adults by the way) .

Whilst I see the necessity for home schooling whilst cruising I just don't understand the reasons for home schooling when people are living in one place.

You might consider yourself lucky then, to have access to good schools without a second thought.

We home school our children, main reason being the schools attitude towards bullying or lack of it. We do English and Maths but also let the child choose a subject or topic of interest to them, I think everyone learns more if you have a interest in a particular subject.

The internet is a great source but libraries and museums will also help. Enjoy!

We home school our children, main reason being the schools attitude towards bullying or lack of it. We do English and Maths but also let the child choose a subject or topic of interest to them, I think everyone learns more if you have a interest in a particular subject.

The internet is a great source but libraries and museums will also help. Enjoy!

Hi Dipple. Thanks for your support. Like you, I am tending to focus on Maths and English and then doing some science or history or geography or whatever topic comes up in general conversation (Bubonic plague and the Great fire of London yesterday!). It is great when she shows such an interest in something - we are even doing a bit of languages, learning together. I love it! Libraries are not great in our area, but there are a good few historical spots around so we have a few field trips from time to time.

I knew there would be a positive side to redundancy - and we can travel as we teach! Cheers everyone - have a good weekend! :lol: