Type of n/b roof paint

clovey

Featured Posts

The intention is to repaint the central section (non slip) area of my n/b roof as some rust spots have appeared.

I intend to rub the areas down then paint with red oxide followed by a top coat. I appreciate there are dedicated paints for the job avialable at chandlers, but has anyone any thoughts / experience on using Hammerite paint product? as these seem to help protect against rust.

The intention is to repaint the central section (non slip) area of my n/b roof as some rust spots have appeared.

I intend to rub the areas down then paint with red oxide followed by a top coat. I appreciate there are dedicated paints for the job avialable at chandlers, but has anyone any thoughts / experience on using Hammerite paint product? as these seem to help protect against rust.

I do not think this computes. :lol:

I do not think this computes. :lol:

As a past user of Hammerite I would admit it has some lovely characteristics like being easy to clean due to the sylicone element of the paint but having painted a good number of Sustrains signposts (weird nightmarish sculptural forms) I was disappointed with the durability due to kids understandably throwing rocks at them, as these small chips immediately rusted, ruining the appearance. Besides that, the stuff requires a gasmask and some skill and speed to apply smoothly as it dries very quickly on a warm day but can take over a month to cure before you can recoat. My mate painted the new range chimney with it and horrifed, presented me with an unsightly mess so I ended up putting it in the oven to speed up the curing time so I could sand off all the runs before repainting it (the cause here was a freezing day - surface touch-dry but underneath still liquid)

So don't go there, just use red oxide and a proper non-slip paint as that will look and weather better.

We sprayed a Transit van in black Hammerite that we never had to clean it as the rain washed the grime off - now there's a thought.... :lol:

Edited by Roger t' Bodger

try using international garage floor paint, it is easy to apply with roller or brush, dries quickly ,has a slight non slip quality to it and is as tough as old boots. get mine from b&q.

I was looking at this stuff yesterday in Focus.

Price ain't bad.

How long have you had it on your roof?

Mike

try using international garage floor paint, it is easy to apply with roller or brush, dries quickly ,has a slight non slip quality to it and is as tough as old boots. get mine from b&q.

We were advised to use that for our front and rear decks, and we have. However we were also advised to put a coat of something else on first as it doesn't adhere well. I did this on the decks and it's fine, but on the front bulkhead in the cockpit I didn't, and it chips off fairly easily. Otherwise, it's great.

Richard

Slippery when wet, so do use something anti-slip.

We were advised to use that for our front and rear decks, and we have. However we were also advised to put a coat of something else on first as it doesn't adhere well. I did this on the decks and it's fine, but on the front bulkhead in the cockpit I didn't, and it chips off fairly easily. Otherwise, it's great.

Richard

Slippery when wet, so do use something anti-slip.

The green colour isn't far from what I'm looking for.

Could you tell what you used as an undercoat please if it sticks better?

Mike

The green colour isn't far from what I'm looking for.

Could you tell what you used as an undercoat please if it sticks better?

Mike

Now, from memory.

We chipped off the rust scale (sharpened brick hammer) and wire brushed (cup brush on angle driver), gave it a coat of hammerite red primer, a coat of (I think) Masons grey paint then the Garage floor paint. This worked well.

It is using a coat of "good" paint under the floor paint that makes the difference.

Richard

Epifanes Multiforte. Made for the job, comes in a 4Ltr tin so enough for two coats in exactly the same colour!

( using smaller tins could give slightly different shades) This stuff is made for metal surfaces, decks /roofs etc.