Canal world webring

Featured Posts

Rite . .

Your link to the webring is all there and correct . . BUT

Jon has to approve the sites before listing them.

But as Jon has been busy with this forum system (as he has just started this one up) he probs hasn't had time or maybe he isn't carrying the webring on!

Cheers

I have been "member" of the  "canal world webring", I think, over a month now!  ;)

I DO appear in the List, and don't appear in the webring, as far as I can see!  :(

http://homepage.schleswig-holstein.de/cbendall/ring.html

Do you think you could investigate?

rite? right!

A web ring "Navigation Panel" will consist of the pointers Previous, Next and Join, and, perhaps, an Icon. A remote server takes the effort of the administration of the webring into a central point.

The server points the way to the next one of the sites.

In a site, if you click "next" in the "Navigation Panel" a message is sent to the server containing the site identification of the site you are leaving. After the server checks the database of the ring, it sends the URL of the next site which your browser acts upon.

I will assume that we click the "Navigation Panel, "new" at all of the sites in a web ring and come back to the site we began with!

That is the "ring" part of the procedure! It is a method of producing a series of the websites with a certain subject.

ok? see now? The "canal world webring" with the bravenet web server works in this way.

Hi guys,

Peter, I've had a look, but I can't see anything wrong.

Is it working now?

Jon

I got the snag! :(

Inland Waterways Cruising School is in there twice!

SITEID: 42358, and 42181 !!!

the one after my entry has the wrong site id .... :(;)

I think you will have to delete the 42358 one, which appears after mine, which restores the ring status!

Peter Bendall

peter.bendall=

What are you talking about?

What do you mean by "

OH! Thats not all that is incorrect with the Web Ring, is it ?"
are you trying to have a go at Jon who does an excellent job of hosting this fab forum?

Out of 41 sites, I counted, have only 13 that have got NavPanels correct in all details...

10 that have a defective NavPanel, 13 that have no NavPanels at all, and 3 that are not found as well!

Would you like to see the Word file that I have produced?

(Or even reveal the password, temporary, that _I_ can e-mail the sites? And possibly to reduce the Ring by getting Sites in the queue ?)

I am Ringmaster of the _Circus_ Rings

http://homepage.schleswig-holstein.de/bendall/ring.html

http://homepage.schleswig-holstein.de/bendall/german.html

http://bendall.freewebpage.org/clownring.html (untouched!)

and know what I'm doing....

To be honest Jon probably doesn't have much time for the webring as the old site is no longer functional and the webring was if you like 'a part of the old site' and isn't linked to from these forums so its a bit 'dead' if you like.

But what do you mean about the word file??and reduce the ring and email the sites? you don't talk sense!!

:) And as for the last 'comment' from you about you being the "ringmaster" and you know what your doing i think that is very rude - why the hell do you want to be in a webring if all you are going to do is critises and tell Jon and his team that they don't know what they are doing but quote "YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING"

For one thing - people tend to not like ringmasters/webmasters or whatever if they are obnoxious and diss the person that you want something from like a listing on the canal world webring!

--- Sorry for this reply Jon but I personally thought it was needed to be said! (apologies Jon if you do not like it and contact me if you wish for me to delete it)

So mr. bendall i would change your attitude if i were you or yo may find out that people don't want you accosiated with the brilliant forum system or the webring or whatever.

Cheers

Edited by Sam

OK

This thread is about the Canal World WebRing. This is something that was set up with the original site back in 2001 and is a ring of sites that are connected together by a navigation panel on each site front page. This is similar to the UK Waterways Webring, the UK Canals webring and numerous others which have come and gone.

Since the change to the site back in early 2003, I've not really bothered with the ring. This is because with the number of portal sites available on the internet, I felt is was a rather pathetic attempt to mirror another site.

To answer Peter's question - you are right, there are a number of sites (including this one :) which does not contain the navigation panel). This is because on top of setting these forums up, moderating and responding to posts, plus a full time degree, two part time jobs, 2 voluntary jobs and a social life, I tend to struggle to find time to do everything!

In response to your comments Peter, firstly, if you attempt to make an unauthorised access to edit the ring, you are in breach of the terms and conditions of membership, and possible the law.

Secondly, I hadn't realised there was such a problem. This will probably mean that I will shut the ring down. Its not part of the current part of the site, and I have only kept it going for the benifit of those who are in it.

Finally, if you don't like the way I manage it, why do you want to join??

I'm not entering into arguments. I am sorry for delayed responses to your queries, and I appreciate you have experience, but I if you want to join, the bear with me, and if not then don't. Its a simple as that....

Jon

Hi Jon

He has only posted 6 posts and all of them have been winging about the ringy thing.

Give him some of the little blobs of warning.

and send him packing.

I have been on his ring, somthing about clowns,,,,, just about sum's it up.....

Why does he even want to join?

Deffinately give him warning blobs!!

The three webrings that he refered to are all clown/circus ones which are pretty rubbishly designed from what i can see!

Also the canal websites of his is a bit weird - The main page it links to says "the back door to the website" ???!!!??? :):huh::huh::o

A bit weird to want something from someone who they keep putting down!! :)

Jon - Probably time to lock the thread