Boat Survey

Featured Posts

When we bought our first boat we offered a price less than the asking and when accepted was told subject to survey, and no mucking about with fiddlely items shown uo in survey. i asked what about big things then that would have been negotiated.

As it happened all was okay.

Just my thoughts. I would stick, explain and risk it. stay where you are with price.

I don't think it's a buyers or a vendors market at this time. Status quo.

Martyn

With our first boat, the vendor said the price was £8500 on the basis that if it had been perfect it could be worth £12000, and if it was awful it was probably only worth £5000, so he'd fixed a price exactly half way between - which was also just enough for him to make the final payment on his new boat. He said it was up to us, we could pay for a survey if we wanted but the price wouldn't change by as much as a penny either way regardless of what the surveyor said. We took the gamble, and we won (all it needed was a lot of time and TLC, but virtually no extra money had to be spent)

Edited to put in a zero - Thanks Phylis

Edited by Keeping Up

With our first boat, the vendor said the price was £8500 on the basis that if it had been perfect it could be worth £1200, and if it was awful it was probably only worth £5000, so he'd fixed a price exactly half way between - which was also just enough for him to make the final payment on his new boat. He said it was up to us, we could pay for a survey if we wanted but the price wouldn't change by as much as a penny either way regardless of what the surveyor said. We took the gamble, and we won (all it needed was a lot of time and TLC, but virtually no extra money had to be spent)

That was a rubbish deal :lol:

"It's this price because that's the condition it is in"

Who determines the condition of the boat?

Are you suggesting the seller does this or a surveyor before price is determined ?

The broker I bought my boat from did not even know the correct length of the boat nor did the builder it was my suveyor who checked it out and found it short of advertised length.

I still feel you need to trust someone who purports to be the expert and hopefully carries PI insurance

Brokers may say there is a shortage of boats but the test is how many boats are sold at the full asking price? In a true sellers market they could get the asking price or more!

I have had very recent dealings with several brokers, large and small, they tell me that they are expecting an influx of boats as the so called credit crunch unfolds.

Of the boats we looked at they were encouraging us to put in offers of between £2000 and £6000 below asking price!

This was either to show the owner that they were generating interest or because boats were not selling.

In any event it seems to me that many of the boats were truly overpriced.

The buyer still holds the upperhand I think