Spoon Dredger

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

One or two pics for those interested. Coming up through Penkridge last night with Henry and Phylis Johnstone and this morning at Gailey with Joe Hollingshead. On its way to Phil Jones place to be blacked and then onto the BCLM for the President 100th Birthday bash.

RIMG0028.jpg

RIMG0031.jpg

RIMG0033.jpg

RIMG0036.jpg

RIMG0038.jpg

RIMG0046.jpg

RIMG0056.jpg

RIMG0071.jpg

Edited by Satellite

We passed it at the yard at Weston, on both good friday and again early on easter monday. Was looking good. I guess it was being moved to the Black Country Museum?

I know the boat had the remains of a spoon dredger when they started but any idea where they found the remainder of the equipment? It had a well used look to most of it so it's obviously not completely a replica.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

The boat is Malcolms and he has owned it for many years. The iron work came from the BCLM stores along with some rotten wooden bits. These wooden bit have been copied by Malcolm and with the old ironwork re-assembled at Weston. The spoon is also an old one though with much new metal needed to make it useable.

We were concerned that it was not going to fit under some bridges but it goes with plenty to spare. It looks much higher than it is.

The boat dates from at least 1873 (probably earlier) and Malcolm has been investigating its (rather interesting) history. I think he intends to publish it soon. It has been many things in its life, including a spoon dredger, and has at least 3 different BCN numbers.

Edited by Satellite

Thanks for those images. Very interesting.

I can see the basic idea, but it looks a very unwieldy piece of kit. Can anyone describe how it would have been used?

Thanks for those images. Very interesting.

I can see the basic idea, but it looks a very unwieldy piece of kit. Can anyone describe how it would have been used?

If you have a copy of 'Painted Boats' there is a sequence of a spoon dredger being used near the end - 41minutes in on my counter.

Basically, there were two winches. One was to pull the dredger along the cut inch by inch from a wire to the bank and worked by one man; two others on the winch that lifted the spoon which would be swung out to the side and lowered into the cut, and the fourth man handled the spoon by means of a large 'T' bar at the end of the spoon shaft. He would be the one slipping and sliding on the dredgings and once a spoonful had been lifted by the other two - pushing the loaded spoon from the cabin top and onto the boards to pivot the crane so as to tip the dredgings into the boat by tipping the spoon using the 'T' bar. It must have been back breaking work with everyone getting soaked, and the amount dredged comparatively small - but nonetheless necessary - in the course of a day. Graft, as it used to be before hydraulics and engines.

Edited by Derek R.