New Internet Browser - Google Chrome

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Following the problems I have been having with a Google Hi-jack virus/trojan (which is still resident, although disabled, on my laptop and will not allow me to download the instructions for removing it) I have decided to load Google Chrome which, apparently, has certain properties that prevent interference from most forms of malware. It is taking an age to install at 56kps which is the best I can get through my Vodafone dongle here at Cropredy.

Has anyone else here used it? How does it compare with Opera and Firefox? Will it be any better for browsing through a slow mobile connection? Opera used to be brilliant but as each new version comes out it has become slower and slower . . .

Has anyone else here used it? How does it compare with Opera and Firefox? Will it be any better for browsing through a slow mobile connection? Opera used to be brilliant but as each new version comes out it has become slower and slower . . .

Moved over from Firefox when it came out. You will find it much faster, and I love the way you just enter a search in the address bar. A few sites don't like it though and you'll need to revert to another browser, and at some point in that session you'll enter a search in the address bar and curse it for not having such an obvious feature :lol:

Downside is I find my PC locks up occasionally when it's in use, but this is not sufficient for it not to be my browser of choice now.

Others will have views on Google's privacy aspects.

(Snip)

I prefer chrome to firefox and IE7 (not tried 8), just wish chrome was available for linux.

Chrome manked around with my Firefox installation in Vista so I got rid. I've enough browsers and 2 OS's so I'll stick to Firefox/Opera in Linux and I'll be happy with that. Surfing is much quicker in Linux due to the absence of Mr Norton and his ilk checking what I'm doing.

Don't use newer versions is the answer, the more features they have they slower they run, unless you turn them all off, in which case you may as well use and older version of, say, firefox, or IE, this will also mean it's simply too old to allow any modern malware to run.

Try running Linux too, as this will make more of your limited bandwidth, if you're willing to change OS, it will let you run your current windows OS under a separate partition, so if you don't like it you can change back easily.

Try using a circa 2002/3 browser, this will work on the current standard.

You do know that if you look carefully in the T's & C's that google have allowed themselves to collect personal information about yourselves using Chrome, don't you? :lol::lol:

Personally, I prefer Firefox, does the job, works flawlessly, and uses far less memory than IE ever could!!! :lol:

Oh, NB Alnwick, try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program, it's the bee's knees at getting rid of hijackers and stuff, I've used it on 5 occasions so far and each time it has worked perfectly... :lol:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

(download the free trial, works fine as a scanner, it just doesn't come with a resident shield thing, and if it refuses to run due to the trojan, just rename the "mbam.exe" to something else, e.g. "banana.exe" and it will run)

Edited by twocvbloke

Following the problems I have been having with a Google Hi-jack virus/trojan (which is still resident, although disabled, on my laptop and will not allow me to download the instructions for removing it) I have decided to load Google Chrome which, apparently, has certain properties that prevent interference from most forms of malware. It is taking an age to install at 56kps which is the best I can get through my Vodafone dongle here at Cropredy.

Chrome works very well and is faster than other browsers by virtue of the fact it has no plugins and bloat. Your Opera browser will be fine if you install a new edition on each update and do NOT allow an upgrade which allows a build up of files. I simply copy the contacts,bookmarks,quick dial,and passwords files from Opera profile and then do a total delete and new install,it takes but a few seconds and my Opera browser is very fast .

Don't use newer versions is the answer, the more features they have they slower they run, unless you turn them all off, in which case you may as well use and older version of, say, firefox, or IE, this will also mean it's simply too old to allow any modern malware to run.

Try using a circa 2002/3 browser, this will work on the current standard.

Yes the older browser will work .............. BUT that is very very bad advice indeed as using old versions leaves the user s system wide open to serious exploits. I see the results of this every week whith people crying about there PC/laptop/system not working,being hijacked.

Malware attacks propogate precisely because there are 1000000's of machines out there using old,unsafe software.

The best way to tackle malware, viruses etc is to swich to Linux, and you have yourself a virus free life.

No,sorry ,but this is simpy untrue. Please do not live with the idea that Linux is exploit/malware/virus free,it is not.

At present the levels may be low but your need to get full protection increases by the hour as the malware writers have turned their attention to alternative OS's.

The first recorded virus was written to attack Unix based systems at time when Mr.Gates and co had not even started college.

Why do FProt,Eset,Clamav,Sophos and a dozen other companies spend so much time and money producing Antiviral applications for Linux systems,why does Rootkit hunter exist?

Fact,viruses and malware from Windows based systems can wreak havoc on Linux/unix and attack software is being increasingly targeted at Linux servers .

I have just seen a Virtual server system that has had to be deleted as there was malware so deeply hidden in the system that there was no choice but to remove the hosted sites and delete the server. The embedded software was so clever it had total control over the server and the hosting company could do nothing at all to stop it. This was a hardened,firewall protected system yet they got in and used the server for a mass spamming campaign and phishing attacks on international banks.

Do NOT for one moment think that your bank details etc. are totally safe on a Linux system,keyloggers and rootkits exist and are in use.

The best way to tackle malware, viruses etc is to swich to Linux, and you have yourself a virus free life.

My Linux box had malware on it, well a RootKit, was a web server running Apache with all the latest security updates... I now run chkrootkit on my Linux and OS/X boxes.

Edited by Robbo

Have I missed something with this Chrome thing?

In order to check compatibility with my websites I now have IE6, IE7, Firefox and Chrome on 4 different machines. Chrome is by far the slowest on all of them. All the others are more or less the same but Chrome loads pages at around a quarter the speed of the other browsers on every machine.

Gibbo

(download the free trial, works fine as a scanner, it just doesn't come with a resident shield thing, and if it refuses to run due to the trojan, just rename the "mbam.exe" to something else, e.g. "banana.exe" and it will run)

excellent product used it on our computers (2) found 141 faults on laptop then we did the main OOh my God 1,233

both now run much faster

but still can't load Andrew burges narrowboat pictures :lol:

FooFoo beans perhaps ? :lol: :lol:

I really want to use this bandwidth saving Linux Distro ........ is it a secret development :lol:

Must be :lol:

Have I missed something with this Chrome thing?

In order to check compatibility with my websites I now have IE6, IE7, Firefox and Chrome on 4 different machines. Chrome is by far the slowest on all of them. All the others are more or less the same but Chrome loads pages at around a quarter the speed of the other browsers on every machine.

Gibbo

That's bizarre - I have it on two XP machines, one a home PC, t'other a netbook hooked up to the interweb via my Nokia N95, and it's considerably and consistently faster than IE or FFox on either machine?

Oh, NB Alnwick, try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program, it's the bee's knees at getting rid of hijackers and stuff, I've used it on 5 occasions so far and each time it has worked perfectly... :lol:

I am using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program together with Zone Alarm, Spybot Search & Destroy, CCleaner, Registry Mechanic and various other third party registry monitors and editors. So far I have managed to severely disable the Trojan or Malware but it is deeply embedded and I haven't yet found out why or how it is preventing me from accessing certain websites such as www.bleepingcomputer.com or running the Windows Registry editor, regedit. The source may well be my own website and I am currently improving security and reloading each page individually then re-checking the source code to ensure that it is clean.

That's bizarre - I have it on two XP machines, one a home PC, t'other a netbook hooked up to the interweb via my Nokia N95, and it's considerably and consistently faster than IE or FFox on either machine?

My thoughts too. Everyone else finds it faster. I could understand it as a compatibiity thing on just one machine but not on 4. Weird.

Gibbo

excellent product used it on our computers (2) found 141 faults on laptop then we did the main OOh my God 1,233

both now run much faster

but still can't load Andrew burges narrowboat pictures :lol:

wel i never!! im new 2 all this computer stuff. its mad!!!!!!! ive got a water filter and its crap. so i was told anyway. do ya think i aught 2 get rid ov it and divart it? they cost a lot just 4 water and as a blonde headed girl im thinking it be better just 2 do sumat else,!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do you think? pls help, i dont want 2 sink my boat. also that blummin bow thruster aint working either!

My thoughts too. Everyone else finds it faster. I could understand it as a compatibiity thing on just one machine but not on 4. Weird.

Gibbo

Did you use the same download to install to all machines? I know when Chrome first came out some of the downloads were .......... well duff.

Why not remove and try again?

I prefer chrome to firefox and IE7 (not tried 8), just wish chrome was available for linux.

Patience, it is coming :

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/linux.html

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/03/17/go...enshots-inside/

the pace is about as fast as the flow on the Shroppie but it is coming.