two sided oak veneered ply

Featured Posts

Hi, does any one know where I can get both sides oak veneered ply. All timber supplies now only have one side or MDF both sides. Have searched web.

David

Sorry cant really help apart from to warn against mdf - it will swell in the damp winter months like nobodys business.

Hi, does any one know where I can get both sides oak veneered ply. All timber supplies now only have one side or MDF both sides. Have searched web.

David

I have only ever seen ply with veneer on one side. That is not to say that two sided doesn't exist. Can you glue two pieces together back to back?

Try......Morgans, timber & Boards, park lane saw mills, Park lane, Kidderminster

tel: 01562 513800,

I had some from there, they got it in.

But be warned, very expensive, sell your body to pay for it,

Sorry cant really help apart from to warn against mdf - it will swell in the damp winter months like nobodys business.

Hi Tim

I have heared the rumours - but I have had two boats now with veneered MDF and niether has suffered one bit from damp.

If MDF gets wet then yes you will have trouble, but I have seen veneered ply react in exactly the same way

I really do not have a problem with MDF, it is perfectly OK for a boat.

Alex

Hi Tim

I have heared the rumours - but I have had two boats now with veneered MDF and niether has suffered one bit from damp.

If MDF gets wet then yes you will have trouble, but I have seen veneered ply react in exactly the same way

I really do not have a problem with MDF, it is perfectly OK for a boat.

Alex

I was horrified when I first heard of MDF in boats. Then I made my bulkheads from same. I used WPB ply for the lining and floor though. The MDF has survived four winters and a flood without problems (couple of small stains in veneer at bottom). The WBP ply floor has started to delaminate :lol: I then heard of a boat with a green chipboard floor and was horrified. For a bit of fun (I am easily amused) I left a piece of green chipboard in our back garden over the winter, which was in a puddle at some points. No delamination/swelling/crumbling whatsoever. It now lives in my trailer to reinforce the bottom. Bloody WBP ply :lol:

to make a heavy bulkhead I first roughed it in using 18mm flooring ply as supplied by Liverpool Boat Co. and lined it both sides with 9mm oak faced ply as supplied for the cabin lining. Dabs of glue and a few screws. Very strong!

What I wanted was 6mm two sided ply for using as panels in doors, I have seen it on boats and have it on our exsisting boat. Can't see why it is so much more exspensive than one sided. (more than twice)

David

Hi

Why not use MDF?

If you use oak veneer the plain MDF sides polishes up to almost the same colour.

Alex

Bought some today from A.K. Williams wood yard based at Madeley, Telford, Shropshire. cost just over 60 quid for a 8x4 ft sheet. Was talking to Trevor - the owner reckons they sell it regularly so always have it in stock.

edit: sorry just re-read the post I see you after plywood. The above is 3/4 MDF.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

I have worked as a cabinet maker and always got mdf / ply from these guys. They will have what you need.

http://www.laver.co.uk

Davids idea of sticking to sheets with contact adhesive is a good idea also.

Love it or hate it MDF is a good product in my eyes. :lol:

Edited by Narrowboat Jimmy