I dont understand my heating?

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have just bought a boat and am still in the process of figuring out the heating system

There is an Eberspacher central heating system.

Hot water is provided through a calorifier when the engine is running.

This much I do know.

There is also an immersion heater switch on the wall, that does draw current from the inverter, and a thermostat. Have not figured out exactly how all these link together. Anyne have a similar set up and can explain how it all works?

I know this isnt very descriptive.

Thanks

Frank

Hi,

I have just bought a boat and am still in the process of figuring out the heating system

There is an Eberspacher central heating system.

Hot water is provided through a calorifier when the engine is running.

This much I do know.

There is also an immersion heater switch on the wall, that does draw current from the inverter, and a thermostat. Have not figured out exactly how all these link together. Anyne have a similar set up and can explain how it all works?

I know this isnt very descriptive.

Thanks

Frank

They may not all be linked together. The Eberspacher may be on a separate circuit to the hot water or may be linked so it also contributes generating hot water in the calorifier tank. I am making the assumption that when you say central heating you are talking about a water fed system not the eberspacher warm air heating.

I would expect the immersion heater is also attached to the calorifier tank and is a back-up to the engine or other means of heating the water and is similar to a domestic unit running on 240V hence needing connecting via the inverter 240V supply (or shore power if you have the capability). I expect thisis just on a manual switch rather than on a timer so that you can use it to boost the hot water supply when you don't have the engine running or heating on.

Edited by churchward

Hi Frank

'Normal' system is the calorifier (hot water tank) will have two separate coils one supplied by the engine, as you already know and the other by the Erberspacher.

The thermostat (if a room one) will control the Erberspacher hence the temperature in the boat.

The immersion heater should only be used when connected to a land-line, otherwise your domestic batteries be flat very quickly.

OK so far, any more questions do come back.

Hi Frank

'Normal' system is the calorifier (hot water tank) will have two separate coils one supplied by the engine, as you already know and the other by the Erberspacher.

The thermostat (if a room one) will control the Erberspacher hence the temperature in the boat.

The immersion heater should only be used when connected to a land-line, otherwise your domestic batteries be flat very quickly.

OK so far, any more questions do come back.

Excellent, that all makes perfect sense. There is a small box on the wall, that swicthes on the central heating manually, (for preset time of 60 minutes), although I have not investigated further to see if you can set it to ocme on certain times. Have not really had time yet to try the thermostat to see what happens. Would I need to alter any setting on the little black box of the heating system in order to make it function based on the thermostat or should it do it automatically?

Thanks for your help

Frank

A thermostat will only work when the 'controls' turn on the Erbaspacher, as per a domestic system.

Think of the Erbaspacher as like your home boiler, the system works in exactly the same way.