Time For Aussies To Return

Daryl

Featured Posts

Hi All,

As I sit here and write this email it's hard to believe that over 2 years have passed since Jacinta, James, Maddy and I took on the flooded Kennet and Avon in January of 2006. It was some adventure and since we have not been blessed with a canal system here in Australia I have had to survive by reading this forum and Canal Boat magazine.

So I believe the time has come to make a return and take on a new canal (hopefully not one in flood this time). I'd certainly like to try up north so I'm looking for any suggestions.

This time I will probably be on my own as to say the canal boating bug did not bite the rest of my crew is an understatement. Fancy knocking back the chance to take in all that canal boating has to offer to visit the Tower of London and Big Ben!

Anyway, what would be the best way to go about this alone? Are there any canals that a one timer could do this alone? I'd rather do this with like minded individuals, but most of my friends I have suggested the idea to over here just give me strange looks and walk away. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and no I will not kneecap any Aussie cricketers who are playing in the up coming Ashes series in trade for a some help.

Regards - Daryl

Hi All,

As I sit here and write this email it's hard to believe that over 2 years have passed since Jacinta, James, Maddy and I took on the flooded Kennet and Avon in January of 2006. It was some adventure and since we have not been blessed with a canal system here in Australia I have had to survive by reading this forum and Canal Boat magazine.

So I believe the time has come to make a return and take on a new canal (hopefully not one in flood this time). I'd certainly like to try up north so I'm looking for any suggestions.

This time I will probably be on my own as to say the canal boating bug did not bite the rest of my crew is an understatement. Fancy knocking back the chance to take in all that canal boating has to offer to visit the Tower of London and Big Ben!

Anyway, what would be the best way to go about this alone? Are there any canals that a one timer could do this alone? I'd rather do this with like minded individuals, but most of my friends I have suggested the idea to over here just give me strange looks and walk away. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and no I will not kneecap any Aussie cricketers who are playing in the up coming Ashes series in trade for a some help.

Regards - Daryl

Hi Daryl

We feel your pain(no canals in Oz) and are also planning our next foray onto the canals of "the old dart". This will be our third trip and if you would like to travel around the Leicester Ring & the Warwickshire ring we can help you out at the locks.

Our boat is booked from 19/5/2010 for 14 days from Willington, Derbyshire.

If you fancy an easy solo trip, AND want to be "up north", then how about the Lancaster Canal? Just over 40 miles from Preston up to Tewitfield and no locks at all and some cracking scenery. If you need to put a few locks under your belt, you can have a detour for a couple of miles on a branch down to the sea at Glasson Dock - there are a handful on the way down there. There are several hire companies - Arlen Hire Boats are right down near the Preston end if you want to go end to end.

Cheers,

Andy

If you fancy an easy solo trip, AND want to be "up north", then how about the Lancaster Canal? Just over 40 miles from Preston up to Tewitfield and no locks at all and some cracking scenery. If you need to put a few locks under your belt, you can have a detour for a couple of miles on a branch down to the sea at Glasson Dock - there are a handful on the way down there. There are several hire companies - Arlen Hire Boats are right down near the Preston end if you want to go end to end.

Cheers,

Andy

I would have thought that someone ( maybe via here ) would be interested in either hiring or using their own boat to do some sort of trip... after mutually checking each would get on with the other ?

Nick

When are you planning on doing your trip Daryl?

I'm sure that with a bit of planning you won't be on your own, as I'm sure there are several forum members (including myself and my OCM!) who would give a willing hand with locks and offer some company along the way!

The Leeds and Liverpool and the Rochdale Canals are both stunning if you want to travel up North, and the Huddersfield Narrow is well worth a trip.

Good luck!

Janet

Hi Daryl

We feel your pain(no canals in Oz) and are also planning our next foray onto the canals of "the old dart". This will be our third trip and if you would like to travel around the Leicester Ring & the Warwickshire ring we can help you out at the locks.

Our boat is booked from 19/5/2010 for 14 days from Willington, Derbyshire.

Hi Harleyi,

Yes we have so much to offer in Australia in regards to things to do outdoors and to do with water, but unfortunatley we can't offer canals.

The closest I can come up with is a possible canal system in Sydney which would be a poor subsitute even with a lot of money spent and work done. It would only be a short run, but a combination of Cooks River, the Alexandra Canal, Wolli Creek, Muddy Creek and Mill Pond could be made into some sort of canal system. You could also extend the Hawthorn Canal from Iron Cove on the Parramatta River along the former Rozelle rail line down to Dulwich Hill and into Cooks River. This would give you maybe 10 to 12km of navigatable canal and river system. Not great, but better than nothing. If you made it suitable for small sea going boats there would probably be a lot of traffic from the Parramatta River/Sydney Harbour over to Botany Bay and visa versa. The only way you can do this trip at the moment is to go out into open sea.

It would of course cost millions and considering the state of New South Wales is bankrupt I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

There is no doubt if I had the fortune to travel to the UK on a regular basis I would spend a lot of my time on the canals. I might even be tempted to buy a boat or at least shares in one. I just loved the four days we spent out there, and I hope that I can see a lot more in the future. Even though the Kennet and Avon was in flood and I we had several very nervous moments, I am hooked. I just felt at peace out there if that doesn't sound too SNAG! I've lost count of the number of times I've watched the video footage I shot. I'm not sure when I'm going back, but it will be later this year or early next year.

Thanks kindly for the offer. I've read the Leicester Ring & the Warwickshire ring is quiet a journey.

Regards - Daryl

PS - Do you know about the Canal Boating Association of Australia based in Sydney?

If you'd rather boat with others, how about trying one of the hotel boats? Don't know anything about them personally, mind, it's just a thought.

Hi Amduck,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have read about hotel boats and they do sound like a relaxing way to see the canals, but as you probably well know once you've done it yourself then I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Its just so much fun and a challenge. It certainly takes you out of your comfort zone the first time out.

Regards - Daryl

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

The Lancaster Canal certainly sounds like a good option for some easy cruising and 40 miles is certainly a decent run. I'll have to do some research on that one. How far from London is it?

Regards - Daryl

When are you planning on doing your trip Daryl?

I'm sure that with a bit of planning you won't be on your own, as I'm sure there are several forum members (including myself and my OCM!) who would give a willing hand with locks and offer some company along the way!

The Leeds and Liverpool and the Rochdale Canals are both stunning if you want to travel up North, and the Huddersfield Narrow is well worth a trip.

Good luck!

Janet

Hi Janet,

I'm hoping to meet plenty of like minded people along the way who are happy to take a house trained Aussie under their wing. I imagine travelling in convoy would make boating a lot more interesting (local knowledge) and with plenty of company at night over a glass of beer/red. When we did the K&A in four days we saw only one other NB actually moving. It was a bit lonely out there, but then again it was the middle of winter.

I'm sure there are plenty of new tricks in handling a canal boat I need to learn, but I have to say I held my own in some tense situations on the flooded K&A.

I've read about the Leeds and Liverpool and the Rochdale Canals in the North, and the Huddersfield Narrow and they are on my to do list. This list may take another 20 years to fulfill, but at 47 I keep myself very fit so I should have a few good years left in me yet.

Once some serious planning starts I will let you know. Time to get reading Canal Boat Magazine and make a short list.

Regards - Daryl

Edited by Daryl

Hi Andy,

The Lancaster Canal certainly sounds like a good option for some easy cruising and 40 miles is certainly a decent run. I'll have to do some research on that one. How far from London is it?

Regards - Daryl

Hi mate,

Don't know what your travel arrangements are - as in will you be hiring a car or something - but if you're using public transport, then a train from London Euston will whizz you direct to Preston with no changes in a few minutes over two hours.

Andy

Hi mate,

Don't know what your travel arrangements are - as in will you be hiring a car or something - but if you're using public transport, then a train from London Euston will whizz you direct to Preston with no changes in a few minutes over two hours.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sounds like an easy way to get some cruising done on short notice. I hear your trains are fast compared to ours. I will check it out. I have no definate plans at the moment.

Regards - Daryl