Barrus Shire 65hp - Fuel System - Help!!

Featured Posts

Could some kind person offer advice please!

I have a new Barrus Shire 65hp engine (Yanmar 4TNV98) which has done about 4 hours + the run-in time. The engine starts on the button 1st time no problem but then cuts out after anything from 2 mins to 30mins. It will always re-start but then cuts out again.

I've cleaned out the water trap, pump and all the fuel lines. The first time I did this, I found some plastic swarf in the pump inlet (there is a Vetus Plastic fuel tank fitted). The system is now clear but the engine still cuts out after again, anything from a few minutes to 30 minutes.

This is driving me mad and I have to move the barge today - a 3 hour trip!

One thing I did notice is that the fuel hose from the tank goes to the pump, then on to the water-trap/filter, then to the fuel filter, then to the injector pump. Seems odd to me because I would have expected the pump to be fitted in between the water-trap and the fuel filter ie. tank to water-trap to pump to fuel filter.

The Barrus book (although lacking in any detail) indicates that the fuel line should go to the pump first and then to the water-trap but the Yanmar manual states that the fuel line should go to the water-trap then to the pump!!!!!?????

Another thing......the water-trap is positioned on the side of the step-plate which is bolted at the end of the block at cylinder head level. This puts it about the same height as about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the tank. Shouldn't the water-trap be lower than the bottom of the tank??

My solution so far is to move the water-trap to a position lower than the tank. clean it all out again (although I didn't find anything/any muck in the system) and connect it up as per the Yanmar book: tank to water-trap to pump to filter to injector pump.

BUT haven't run it yet as this seems to be 'wrong' in terms of the Barrus book.

So, could anyone suggest anything with regard to the original problem and/or solutions??

Many thanks in advance!

Colin

Could some kind person offer advice please!

I have a new Barrus Shire 65hp engine (Yanmar 4TNV98) which has done about 4 hours + the run-in time. The engine starts on the button 1st time no problem but then cuts out after anything from 2 mins to 30mins. It will always re-start but then cuts out again.

I've cleaned out the water trap, pump and all the fuel lines. The first time I did this, I found some plastic swarf in the pump inlet (there is a Vetus Plastic fuel tank fitted). The system is now clear but the engine still cuts out after again, anything from a few minutes to 30 minutes.

This is driving me mad and I have to move the barge today - a 3 hour trip!

One thing I did notice is that the fuel hose from the tank goes to the pump, then on to the water-trap/filter, then to the fuel filter, then to the injector pump. Seems odd to me because I would have expected the pump to be fitted in between the water-trap and the fuel filter ie. tank to water-trap to pump to fuel filter.

The Barrus book (although lacking in any detail) indicates that the fuel line should go to the pump first and then to the water-trap but the Yanmar manual states that the fuel line should go to the water-trap then to the pump!!!!!?????

Another thing......the water-trap is positioned on the side of the step-plate which is bolted at the end of the block at cylinder head level. This puts it about the same height as about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the tank. Shouldn't the water-trap be lower than the bottom of the tank??

My solution so far is to move the water-trap to a position lower than the tank. clean it all out again (although I didn't find anything/any muck in the system) and connect it up as per the Yanmar book: tank to water-trap to pump to filter to injector pump.

BUT haven't run it yet as this seems to be 'wrong' in terms of the Barrus book.

So, could anyone suggest anything with regard to the original problem and/or solutions??

Many thanks in advance!

Colin

Some Barrus engines are stopped just like a car - turn the "ignition switch" off and it just stops. This type needs power to the stop solenoid all the time the engine is running so interrupt that power and the engine stops. I think I would be looking at the wiring associated with that stop and feeling the solenoid to see if I could feel it "click out" as the engine stops indicating a loss of power. It could be as simple as a loose connection either outside or inside the solenoid.

Although I would always fit the water trap between the tank & pump so it prevents larger pieces of "crud" blocking a pump valve I can not see it causing your problem.

The trap will work wherever it is fitted in the vertical plane. I advocate fitting them so the pipework and "filter head" are just above tank full level but the drain is below. Thus if a pipe fractures or the lethal glass bowl cracks you only deposit part of your fuel in the bilge but when the tank is full you can drain the trap without needing to bleed the system.

My advice would be to put that trap out of your mind until you sort the problem, then you can move it if you still want to.

If the stop is different to the one I describe or if it seems to be working OK as soon as the engine stops next time loosen an injector pipe and crank the engine. Fuel should drip out AT ONCE. If it takes a short while you probably have an air leak into the fuel line between the tank and pump.

If this is a new engine in an old boat it is possible that the tank pickup pipe might be blocked.

Some Barrus engines are stopped just like a car - turn the "ignition switch" off and it just stops. This type needs power to the stop solenoid all the time the engine is running so interrupt that power and the engine stops. I think I would be looking at the wiring associated with that stop and feeling the solenoid to see if I could feel it "click out" as the engine stops indicating a loss of power. It could be as simple as a loose connection either outside or inside the solenoid.

Although I would always fit the water trap between the tank & pump so it prevents larger pieces of "crud" blocking a pump valve I can not see it causing your problem.

The trap will work wherever it is fitted in the vertical plane. I advocate fitting them so the pipework and "filter head" are just above tank full level but the drain is below. Thus if a pipe fractures or the lethal glass bowl cracks you only deposit part of your fuel in the bilge but when the tank is full you can drain the trap without needing to bleed the system.

My advice would be to put that trap out of your mind until you sort the problem, then you can move it if you still want to.

If the stop is different to the one I describe or if it seems to be working OK as soon as the engine stops next time loosen an injector pipe and crank the engine. Fuel should drip out AT ONCE. If it takes a short while you probably have an air leak into the fuel line between the tank and pump.

If this is a new engine in an old boat it is possible that the tank pickup pipe might be blocked.

Hi Tony,

The boat and the engine are new. It does have a stop solenoid so I will check this out......

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

Colin

Does it stop quicker when on a high power setting? That would indicate that the pump is not working properly.

Not really, it can idle for a bit then cut out and when I thought I'd cured it, went for about 15mins under load before cutting out.......

The pump seems to run OK although I guess it could have been damaged by the plastic swarf that I found on the inlet side when I first cleaned it out?

Thanks,

Colin

Check that the tank is 'breathing', your pump may be creating a vacuum in the tank which will slowly leak out when the engine is stopped.. In the longer term consider converting the fuel system to a recirculating type, your tank and everything else will stay much cleaner.

Hi Tony,

The boat and the engine are new. It does have a stop solenoid so I will check this out......

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

Colin

Not really, it can idle for a bit then cut out and when I thought I'd cured it, went for about 15mins under load before cutting out.......

The pump seems to run OK although I guess it could have been damaged by the plastic swarf that I found on the inlet side when I first cleaned it out?

Thanks,

Colin

Is it one of the horizontally mounted, round, mechanical ones with the pumping part held together by 6 long screws?

If so are you sure you aligned the dividing up-stands under the cap & on the valve housing, perhaps the gasket has become misplaced here. It might gravity feed fro a while or perhaps the gasket is moving. Until proven wrong I still suspect the stop control.

John,

Thanks – The system does circulate the fuel back to the tank and I’ve checked that the fuel return is OK. Also checked the breather and that was clear too.

Tony,

The pump is a sealed unit – really cheap and nasty! Although it seems OK, I’m going to replace it with a decent unit that can be serviced properly.

Leo,

I know what you mean about risking the warranty. I talked to Barrus and they suggested cleaning out the fuel system. I’ve been careful not to take anything to bits other than the water trap and all the fuel lines.

Doomed1

“….. i use the emergency stop button now.”

Not sure what you mean? Is there a way of doing away with the stop solenoid?

Anyway, here’s the update. Been over to the barge this afternoon. Re-checked everything and decided to give it a go. Fired up 1st time and then died a few minutes later. Checked that fuel was at injection pump which it was so had a look at the stop solenoid wiring. It all seemed OK bot I made sure all the connections were good etc. Tried it again and she fired up AND kept on running!!

So cast off and headed off. 3 hours later, got to the mooring without missing a beat! I’m still not exactly sure what the cause of the problem was but assume that it was either a bad connection in the wiring or maybe air in the fuel.

I’m going to leave the newly routed fuel pipes in situ (pump after the water-trap/filter but before the filter) and see what happens. Will replace the pump and talk to Barrus about the solenoid as they didn’t mention this when I talked to them originally.

Think I’ll get a few spares bought too just in case………

So, BIG thank you to all who came back with your suggestions and ideas.

Regards,

Colin