Gas Barbecue

stickleback

Featured Posts

Hi. I've just been given a really nice smallish portable gas barbecue "for the boat"!

My concern is the gas canister it needs - presumably the best place to keep it is in the gas locker with the two cylinders that power my gas hob / oven - IF there is room! And just lift it out when I want to use the barbecue.

The alternative is just to use it at home - but the idea of a barbecue on board does appeal. It is the safety aspects which concern me. Any aone use a gas barbecue and if so, what do you do?

Stickleback

Hi. I've just been given a really nice smallish portable gas barbecue "for the boat"!

My concern is the gas canister it needs - presumably the best place to keep it is in the gas locker with the two cylinders that power my gas hob / oven - IF there is room! And just lift it out when I want to use the barbecue.

The alternative is just to use it at home - but the idea of a barbecue on board does appeal. It is the safety aspects which concern me. Any aone use a gas barbecue and if so, what do you do?

Stickleback

We have an lpg one on the boat and it stays on board full time.

I made a seperate gas line and regulator so it can be used on the towpath and it's rigged up to the spare bottle.

Absolutely brilliant - no matter the weather just use a brolly (got an old patio umbrella for when it's really dismal)

The only problem is you'll end up with a queue of people wanting burgers and bangers!

Once you try it you'll never set sail without it.

GB

Hi Sticleback

Coming from an outdoor pursuit background - gas canisters and camping stoves/cookers gives me the hejee jeebies a bit as I have seen quite a few accidents through bad practice.

Is your gas canister the blue gaz type? - if so be careful when puncturing it.

Otherwise - happy bbq ing and the smell of burgers and bacon and sausages drifting down the cut is something else .......... now where is the frying pan??

We have a cobb and light that in the front deck and leave it alone cooking an assortment of goodies with no danger to anyone.

Take care

If it's a "proper" barbeque, even if only small, and it's "powered" by one of those Camping Gaz type cans that you puncture, then I'd have thought it will be pretty costly to run.

Barbeques use quite a lot of gas, whereas those small canisters don't hold much, and are a very expensive way of buying it.

Personally I'd be quite nervous of that type of canister on a boat - they can, and do, leak where joined to the appliance.

Yes, it fits the large cylinder in the workshop for my heater. So that is OK. The length of tube is far far too short to be of any use - but easily replaced with a longer one. The regulator fits on just fine.

Greybeard, I like your idea of fitting it to the spare bottle! Saves buying a special one - why on earth did I not think of that?!

It is a small barbecue so won't use as much gas as a more industrial sized one. But heaps big enough for my needs.

Stickleback

Of course, I've just remembered - the fixing for the cylinder on the boat is quite different to the one in the workshop. So a rethink is called for!

Greybeard,

how long is your gas line, to reach the towpath? I'm going to do the same!

Stickleback

From memory I think it's about 5 or 6 metres long.

That gives me a bit of room to move the bbq along the path and away from the boat if I want to.

That distance hasn't cause any problem with the gas flow.

I'm not a gas fitter but what kind of gas does your bbq use ? and how about the boat ? are they both the same ? are they actually compatible ?

I know there's propane and butane and I think patio gas is some sort of mixture of them both.

Just a thought if you say the fittings are different then maybe the gas is as well.

Like I say I'm not a gas fitter so I could be totally off track - but I thought it was worth a mention - don't want any explosions!

Maybe a bbq recipe section is an idea.

Sausage a la charcoal. :lol:

Mike

ps

Take the pipe off of the boat if you're due a safety check - I got a stroppy phone call to get mine off immediately if I wanted a certificate - oops!

Yes, it fits the large cylinder in the workshop for my heater. So that is OK. The length of tube is far far too short to be of any use - but easily replaced with a longer one. The regulator fits on just fine.

Greybeard, I like your idea of fitting it to the spare bottle! Saves buying a special one - why on earth did I not think of that?!

It is a small barbecue so won't use as much gas as a more industrial sized one. But heaps big enough for my needs.

Stickleback

Because when the gas runs out while you are cooking sunday lunch the spare then runs out when you try and make the coffee.

Because when the gas runs out while you are cooking sunday lunch the spare then runs out when you try and make the coffee.

Crisps and beer then! :lol:

You're right though it is something to keep an eye on.

I suppose you could always put some sort of 'T' piece on just one bottle so you don't do the inevitable.

Mike