Interview with a BW Director

Tiny

Featured Posts

I read with interest - and a little frustration - an Interview in April's Waterways World with BWs 'Customer Operations Director' - Vince Moran.

Mr. Moran, from his comments could be described as head of and spokesman for Red Tape, Silly Signs and ever more Standards including the H&S Bollards one.

He gave, shall we say, an honest BW view of BW customers as in 'we need to protect them and all we do we do for them so we feel the need for signs, bollards etc..

He also gave a BW perspective on consultation as in ' If they and we disagree on something we hear what they say and do it anyway'.

He admitted that the things called standards had priority for money and men and that the spend on them this year is over £10 million - but not to worry as this money came off the towpath improvements fund!

He seemed to think that a phone call to BW would bring a man rushing to fix a handle on a lock gate if a standard said there should be one and there wasn't.

He knew loads of people who loved his bollards on narrow locks. And he could not understand why people, who did not complain about bollards either side on wide locks, did complain about them being on one side on single locks.

At the end of the interview I must admit I wondered what his bonus was and what it was paid for.

Read the interview if you can - it is fascinating.

:lol:

I read with interest - and a little frustration - an Interview in April's Waterways World with BWs 'Customer Operations Director' - Vince Moran.

At the end of the interview I must admit I wondered what his bonus was and what it was paid for.

Land theft, asset stripping?

Mr. Moran, from his comments could be described as head of and spokesman for Red Tape, Silly Signs and ever more Standards including the H&S Bollards one.

He gave, shall we say, an honest BW view of BW customers as in 'we need to protect them and all we do we do for them so we feel the need for signs, bollards etc..

He also gave a BW perspective on consultation as in ' If they and we disagree on something we hear what they say and do it anyway'.

He admitted that the things called standards had priority for money and men and that the spend on them this year is over £10 million - but not to worry as this money came off the towpath improvements fund!

He seemed to think that a phone call to BW would bring a man rushing to fix a handle on a lock gate if a standard said there should be one and there wasn't.

He knew loads of people who loved his bollards on narrow locks. And he could not understand why people, who did not complain about bollards either side on wide locks, did complain about them being on one side on single locks.

Vince Moran came to give a talk at Nabo agm. I was not impressed and thought bW deserved better.

Sue

What I find really interesting is that Richard Fairhurst did not ask Vince Moran (BW's Customer Operations Director) the obvious question:-

"The Customer Service Standards were written by Jonathan Bryant (Customer Service Manager) a direct report of Simon Salem (Customer Service Director). One would expect delivery of these standards to be Mr Salems responsibility simply based on his job title. In addition, Mr Salem has provided a copy of his bonus targets for 2008/9 which indicate that, at some stage, British Waterways intended to pay him bonus based on "customer service score" - a measurement of the standards.

Why am I interviewing you rather than him?"

Perhaps next month WW will point out that this interview came out in the April edition!

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)