twin coil plumbing

dor

Featured Posts

When using a twin-coil calorifier, with an Alde feeding heating and coil, what is the standard / recommended way of splitting the output between heating, hot water or both?

Presumably it shouldn't be such that both can be shut off. I have a 3-port valve from a domestic CH system, which was operated by a motorised valve. It would do the job, but is fairly restrictive.

What's the normal method?

On my boat, the heating coil (from the Alde) in the calorifier runs in parallel with the radiators. I have a stop cock on the input pipe to isolate the coil. I have seen this arrangement on the hire boats I used in the past. If I want to use the Alde (rather than the engine) to heat hot water in the warmer months, the radiators are turned off and the calorifier stop cock opened. The thermostat in the Alde ensures that the boiler does not overheat. This system has always worked well for me.

Dor

You should have a means of stopping the hot water from going round the rads so you can have hot water only in the summer, and the proper way is to let the supply to the hot tank come off as the first connection from the heating circuit.

It is a simple thing to fit a thermostat and control box like you probably have in your house with a three way valve, these can be got in 12v and 24v as well, this will switch the heating between hot water and both hot water and heating at the control panel.

my Morso will have 1" tee connections leading to 28mm piping.

Left side loop serves the calorifier with an extension loop in 22mm acting as the towel rail. Piping will be concealed behind (removeable) wall panels and insulated. On full time.

Right side loop serves three twin tube Finrads. No need to insulate the piping. Full bore isolation valve on the outlet branch.

It is a simple thing to fit a thermostat and control box like you probably have in your house with a three way valve, these can be got in 12v and 24v

Richard: Do you have a source for 12V mororised valves?