BW License...How long must I wait?

Colin Smith

Featured Posts

Hi,

I sent in (and they received) my BW License application 5 weeks ago. It's a new boat and first time application. All the docs were correct and having telephoned them twice, I was told that it "takes a week to put it on the system", then " a couple of weeks to process it", then "we have to check out your mooring". They have given me the license number verbally but I've still not had anything back from them in writing and/or the bit of paper.

Is this the norm for BW? Should I be getting on the telephone and complaining yet?

Thanks,

Colin

yes quiet normal for BW once waited a year for one which never did come

I've just got my mooring licence and my cruising licence today and it was only a week to ten days ago that I applied! Transferring from the Bridgewater to BW for the first time.

Edited by journeyperson

I've never had one take over a week.

That includes when I first got the boat, so had to change owner details, and the last one where a new BSS certificate was involved.

Obviously it's slow for some, and fast for others.

A.

I applied for mine early November 08, 3 weeks before it ran out. The money was debited from my account but still have no licence to display in window so keeping curtain twitchers busy, this is not BW fault just simply that being a CCer my mail has not caught up with me.

I applied at the start of December. Late January, I had an answer phone message asking me to call back about my gold licence. I called back. They didn't know why it hadn't been done, or why they had called. I called again 2 weeks later. They still didn't know. I called again 2 weeks later, they STILL didn't know.

After a few more weeks of this, my application came back in the post, saying my Gold licence would be about 60 quid more than their fees chart (or my renewal notice) says because my mooring is on the Thames. By the way, the returned application mentioned two different fees which were now applicable (with no explanation of how they were calculated) :lol:

In disgust I politely requested they stick it and got a Thames EA licence instead for £100-odd less.

It took five days to arrive :lol:

Hi,

I sent in (and they received) my BW License application 5 weeks ago. It's a new boat and first time application. All the docs were correct and having telephoned them twice, I was told that it "takes a week to put it on the system", then " a couple of weeks to process it", then "we have to check out your mooring". They have given me the license number verbally but I've still not had anything back from them in writing and/or the bit of paper.

Is this the norm for BW? Should I be getting on the telephone and complaining yet?

Thanks,

Colin

If your application is on the system, and you have paid (or at least, made it possible for BW to take the money) then I wouldn't worry. You can't display a licence they haven't sent you!

[i've just bought a boat and upgraded the licence from river only to canal & river with no problems. This is my fourth boat and I've never had a problem with licensing any of them including one built for me and one I fitted out myself when on each occasion I was given a number to paint on the side and the licence followed when I sent in the BSC. Whenever I telephone them I find them very helpful so credit where credit is due. I run a small business so I am used to dealing with the nightmare of call centres and my experience of BW licensing over ten years has been a postive one.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...