Old 1970s Negatives - Part 4

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I can confirm that Alan, I have a photo of Widdicombe Fair at Charity Dock on 19th Feb 1978 and it is the same boat. It was painted in light blue, with dark blue surround and lining-out.

Thanks - that would also be consistent with the fact that it had left Cow Roast long before that date, as by then the boat Betty had been moved on to it's former mooring for some time.

It was wee maintained, at Cow Roast, as I recall, but not presented in a "traditional" manner.

It's also interesting to learn that it is amongst the hulks on the Troy Cut - not that far from it's Cow Roast home in the 1970s, then.

• 3 months later...

As I got asked yesterday to bump the Cow Roast pictures thread, I hope my brother will not mind if I add links to a couple of appropriate pictures that he has just put in his own excellent snapshot of the 1970s.

Dredging operations in the Cow Roast winding hole, again featuring "Widdicombe Fair"/"Coughton" that has already appeared....

samBrooksCambourne.jpg

SamBrooksCambourne2.jpg

For more information on what's in these pictures, please follow This link.

Edited by alan_fincher

It's just a hunch but that butty has a more "massive" look to it, than a Town Class. It may be a Royalty (possibly Adelaide, before her conversion was removed?).

Carl,

I think you are right, seem to remember that massive boat there when we worked Hotel boats, used to love Cowroast in the summer, just jump in and swim to the lock (when there were no passengers!)!

It's just a hunch but that butty has a more "massive" look to it, than a Town Class. It may be a Royalty (possibly Adelaide, before her conversion was removed?).

Carl,

I think you are right, seem to remember that massive boat there when we worked Hotel boats, used to love Cowroast in the summer, just jump in and swim to the lock (when there were no passengers!)!

Carl,

As soon as those in the know mentioned Widdicombe Fair, I remembered beyond doubt that that is what the boat was called when I knew it.

If the experts are happy that Widdicombe Fair started life as Big Ricky "Coughton", then I'm completely happy that it is Big Ricky "Coughton".

As I have said previously, it moved on during our sojourn there, and for most o the time it was replaced by "Betty", another massive boat, where, unlike Widdicombe fair, we got to know the owners well.

As soon as those in the know mentioned Widdicombe Fair, I remembered beyond doubt that that is what the boat was called when I knew it.

If the experts are happy that Widdicombe Fair started life as Big Ricky "Coughton", then I'm completely happy that it is Big Ricky "Coughton".

As I have said previously, it moved on during our sojourn there, and for most o the time it was replaced by "Betty", another massive boat, where, unlike Widdicombe fair, we got to know the owners well.

I have found a few more Cowroast 1970's photos, they will be on the board soon.