Unusual engine.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Might make an interesting "different" power unit for someone.

Ebay clicky.

MP.

Jane and I used to hire the 66 foot, Steve Hudson built, 'Spirit of Georgia' from Challenger. Lovely boat powered by one of these wonderful Rigas Disiesals - the engine is straight out of the 1930s but they were well designed and solidly built in their thousands until very recently - in fact they may even be still in production. It sounded and performed just like a vintage engine with more than enough power and torque, it needed a little care but the manufacturers had thoughtfully provided a hardback book on the subject, nicely bound in black cloth, and all in the style of English that one might have found in a Second World War aircraft instruction manual. It may not be everyone cup-of-tea but it would make a sensible alternative to a JP2 or similar.

Jane and I used to hire the 66 foot, Steve Hudson built, 'Spirit of Georgia' from Challenger. Lovely boat powered by one of these wonderful Rigas Disiesals - the engine is straight out of the 1930s but they were well designed and solidly built in their thousands until very recently - in fact they may even be still in production. It sounded and performed just like a vintage engine with more than enough power and torque, it needed a little care but the manufacturers had thoughtfully provided a hardback book on the subject, nicely bound in black cloth, and all in the style of English that one might have found in a Second World War aircraft instruction manual. It may not be everyone cup-of-tea but it would make a sensible alternative to a JP2 or similar.

Yes, a lovely engine in a lovely boat!

On our time on board Spirit of Georgia, while the OCM (onshore command module) did the locks, I spent most of my time trying to make smoke rings out of the stack!

As i understand it, on the demise of Challenger and the subsequent selling of Spirit of Georgia, did they not take that Rigas engine out and replace it with a gardener on her refit?

Just a thought!

Nipper

Yes, a lovely engine in a lovely boat!

On our time on board Spirit of Georgia, while the OCM (onshore command module) did the locks, I spent most of my time trying to make smoke rings out of the stack!

As i understand it, on the demise of Challenger and the subsequent selling of Spirit of Georgia, did they not take that Rigas engine out and replace it with a gardener on her refit?

Just a thought!

Could be the same engine then!

I heard on the grapevine that the narrowboat fitted with that engine exhibited some unusual behaviour; it forced the owners to plan on doing 250 lock-miles per day, every day for five years; it suddenly changed its mind about one owner and forced him to sit outside in the cold one evening; and it sped up and crashed into plastic tupperware boats, with the only explanation it gave being that they were Enemies of the Narrowboatariat.

I heard on the grapevine that the narrowboat fitted with that engine exhibited some unusual behaviour; it forced the owners to plan on doing 250 lock-miles per day, every day for five years; it suddenly changed its mind about one owner and forced him to sit outside in the cold one evening; and it sped up and crashed into plastic tupperware boats, with the only explanation it gave being that they were Enemies of the Narrowboatariat.

... and the crew of NB Lucky Duck are hereby appointed "suppliers to CWF of bad puns based on Soviet-era slogans" for another year.

MP. (who hasn't forgiven you "Proper Tea is theft".)

Of interest to anybody who is looking at the Rigas, we at Marine Engine Services were responsible for the importation and marinisation of this range

We also have a comprehensive stock of spares available

The only reason we stopped importing them was Latvia's entry to the EU made costs/shipping not economically viable

Chris

Of interest to anybody who is looking at the Rigas, we at Marine Engine Services were responsible for the importation and marinisation of this range

The only reason we stopped importing them was Latvia's entry to the EU made costs/shipping not economically viable

Chris

Chris,

Have often wondered why information on these engines dried up, now I know. I would be interested in knowing the rev range) tickover is fine, nice and slow at 550 according to EBay) but what revs at cruising speed for 57ft boat?

Charles

Chris,

If you did the ones for the Challenger fleet, its a pity you didn't choose a more durable water pump. The vane type pump on 'Spirit of Georgia' failed and stranded us a Zouch - it was easy enough to remove and Challenger's very talented fitter, Sandy, rebuilt it overnight with new vanes so that we could get underway the following morning. Give me a simple reciprocating pump any day!

Wow! Does that include those excellent handbooks?

With a good supply of spares available, I would think it is an ideal narrowboat engine - and at £50 on eBay it is a tad cheaper than a new Nussell Rewbery.

Chris,

If you did the ones for the Challenger fleet, its a pity you didn't choose a more durable water pump. The vane type pump on 'Spirit of Georgia' failed and stranded us a Zouch - it was easy enough to remove and Challenger's very talented fitter, Sandy, rebuilt it overnight with new vanes so that we could get underway the following morning. Give me a simple reciprocating pump any day!

I know nothing about the pumps on the Riga, but my experience of reciprocating cooling pumps over the years has been that they are a constant source of aggravation, probably why they went out of style a long time ago :lol:

Incidentally, though I don't know any personally I doubt that the majority of the good citizens of Latvia would take kindly to being referred to as 'Russian'!

Tim

Incidentally, though I don't know any personally I doubt that the majority of the good citizens of Latvia would take kindly to being referred to as 'Russian'!

Quite right! Many Latvian refugees were domiciled in the UK after the Second World War and did not want to return to their homeland during what they regarded as the 'Russian occupation'.

The Rigas Dizelis company is still a going concern in Latvia but, these days, they build gensets and pumps with Deutz, Lombardi, Scania and Volvo engines and appear to have close ties with the Deutz Group.

There is a website in English here: Clicky

Chris,

Have often wondered why information on these engines dried up, now I know. I would be interested in knowing the rev range) tickover is fine, nice and slow at 550 according to EBay) but what revs at cruising speed for 57ft boat?

Charles

The engine plate on the eblag ad states 1800rpm.....

does the model number mean 24hp?

I guess many people will think it a little slow but i expect the 26x17 prop on a 3:1 reduction is actually underpropping it for use in little light weight narrowboats :lol:

Simon

The engine plate on the eblag ad states 1800rpm.....

does the model number mean 24hp?

I guess many people will think it a little slow but i expect the 26x17 prop on a 3:1 reduction is actually underpropping it for use in little light weight narrowboats :lol:

From memory, I believe that is the case - I think there were three models listed in the handbook rated at (again from memory) 21hp, 24hp and 27hp in each case they also quoted a different operating speed in rpm so the only difference may have been the governor setting when used as a stationary engine.

From memory, I believe that is the case - I think there were three models listed in the handbook rated at (again from memory) 21hp, 24hp and 27hp in each case they also quoted a different operating speed in rpm so the only difference may have been the governor setting when used as a stationary engine.

Just trying to establish the RPM at cruising speed not the rated HP at 1800. Running at 1800 the engine will probably sound like a sewing machine instead of a pleasing chug chug of a 2 cyliner running at 900 RPM at 3MPH travelling speed

Anyone know the cruising RPM?

Charles

Just noticed that the builders plate states 17.6 kW which equates to 23.6 hp - so I reckon the model number must indicate good old Imperial horse power! I have also had a closer look at that water pump and I reckon it is the one out of 'Spirit of Georgia' - if so, the two grease nipples were fitted by Sandy to cure its tendency to seize!

Just trying to establish the RPM at cruising speed not the rated HP at 1800. Running at 1800 the engine will probably sound like a sewing machine instead of a pleasing chug chug of a 2 cyliner running at 900 RPM at 3MPH travelling speed

Anyone know the cruising RPM?

Charles

I cannot remember the actual RPM but the 66 foot 'Spirit of Georgia' chugged along quite nicely at canal cruising speed with the regulator open less that half way and there was loads of power in reserve.

The sound of the engine was unique, quite unlike anything else on the cut - a nice bark from the exhaust when opened up (and quite capable of creating artistic smoke rings!), a steady chugging when cruising but quite a lot of rhythmic mechanical noise from the engine room that was even more pronounced when running at low speeds with the engine still cold.

'Spirit of Georgia' was (probably still is) a deep draughted vessel with a long tug deck and we got stuck aground a few times on the Leicester section of the GU - that's how we know that there was plenty of reserve power :lol:

I cannot remember the actual RPM but the 66 foot 'Spirit of Georgia' chugged along quite nicely at canal cruising speed with the regulator open less that half way and there was loads of power in reserve.

The sound of the engine was unique, quite unlike anything else on the cut - a nice bark from the exhaust when opened up (and quite capable of creating artistic smoke rings!), a steady chugging when cruising but quite a lot of rhythmic mechanical noise from the engine room that was even more pronounced when running at low speeds with the engine still cold.

'Spirit of Georgia' was (probably still is) a deep draughted vessel with a long tug deck and we got stuck aground a few times on the Leicester section of the GU - that's how we know that there was plenty of reserve power :lol:

Yes, she was/is a tad deep.

We took her up the Llangollen Canal from her base and ploughed my way right up to the other side of the aqueduct. We turned chicken and decided that blocking up the cut from there to Llangollen would of been a tad embarrassing and not in the interest of Anglo/welsh relations.

Coming back was a lot easier, all we had to do was put her in the trench I ploughed coming up!

That engine may be worth a few quid, just to have her in the shed, ready for when I get a own Narrowboat. Or even just to start up now and then and blow smoke rings!!

Nipper