Leaky window

Featured Posts

My bathroom window has developed a leak. It is sealed to the cabin side with the balck tape type stuff, but the fitters have left a gap at the top :lol:

I have shot a bit of silicon in the gap which has effected a temorary cure, but what is the best way to reseal it properly? More black stuff? Silkaflex? Other?

Many thanks

My bathroom window has developed a leak. It is sealed to the cabin side with the balck tape type stuff, but the fitters have left a gap at the top :lol:

I have shot a bit of silicon in the gap which has effected a temorary cure, but what is the best way to reseal it properly? More black stuff? Silkaflex? Other?

Many thanks

Silicon - yeuch! Won't take paint, and the devil to get rid of. I think acetone might shift it.

Sikaflex 221 adhesive is the stuff. Dries to a hard rubbery consistency, can be sanded and painted over. Lasts well too. Available in black, brown, and white. About £12 a tube, but quality lasts - and does the job.

"Fitters" - is there a 'professional' story to this? :lol:

Silicon - yeuch! Won't take paint, and the devil to get rid of. I think acetone might shift it.

Sikaflex 221 adhesive is the stuff. Dries to a hard rubbery consistency, can be sanded and painted over. Lasts well too. Available in black, brown, and white. About £12 a tube, but quality lasts - and does the job.

"Fitters" - is there a 'professional' story to this? :lol:

Thanks for reply. Don't panic, its only a tiny bit of silicon :lol: thumb nail will shift it followed by a drop of meth. spirits.

Do you mean use sikaflex instead of the black seal or as well as?

The lads who took it up to a sailaway were actually OK but they seem to have cocked up on this window for some reason.

If it's quite a fine gap, you could try PVA glue. Eg clicky 1 clicky 2 .

cheers,

Pete.

You can buy a sealant which creates a flexible black gasket when cured, I cannot remember what it is called at the moment, but I used it to seal the cover on my water tank. It comes in a standard tube and is applied under rpressure with a gun, in just the same way as silicone is applied.

Thanks for reply. Don't panic, its only a tiny bit of silicon :lol: thumb nail will shift it followed by a drop of meth. spirits.

Do you mean use sikaflex instead of the black seal or as well as?

The lads who took it up to a sailaway were actually OK but they seem to have cocked up on this window for some reason.

All depends on what your 'black seal' is! If it's a complete window seal and the rest of it is hunky dory, I'd just 'repair' the missing bit, though as Sikaflex comes in standard tubes as used in caulking frames, you will have a lot left over, and to keep it needs to be kept tightly sealed from air contact as if not, the entire tube will cure and be useless.

If, on the other hand, you are up for removing the entire window with a view to replacing the 'black seal' with Sikaflex, it will be up to that task no problem. Sikaflex I find a wonderful substitute for rubber stops. Squeeze a little into a neat little circular blob where a door might open onto painted steelwork, and left to cure for a few days will be tough and resilient for many years. I've got deck lids and aluminium edging sealed down with it, and after Sun, rain, frost and snow, is as good as when applied, and let not a drop of water in.

One word of warning - it's very, very, messy stuff, and if you are not careful it will get everywhere! Rather than wipe off excess, leave it to cure fully, and sand off gently. Many caulking materials can be smoothed over with a finger-full of Swarfega, or similar slippery substance - i think I've heard washing up liquid being used but I've not experimented with that.