Vetus 5kgf Bowthruster

aread2

Featured Posts

I think I may have broken my bow thruster. I took the battery out and recharged it. Unfortunately I put it back in the wrong way round. I have since put this right and now the bow thruster control panel does not respond when I try to turn it on. Have I killed my bowthruster wth the reverse polarity?

Edit to add:

All external fuses checked and found to be OK. with the engine running there's 14.5volts at the terminals going into the bowthruster.

Edited by aread2

I think I may have broken my bow thruster. I took the battery out and recharged it. Unfortunately I put it back in the wrong way round. I have since put this right and now the bow thruster control panel does not respond when I try to turn it on. Have I killed my bowthruster wth the reverse polarity?

Edit to add:

All external fuses checked and found to be OK. with the engine running there's 14.5volts at the terminals going into the bowthruster.

You could well have zapped the control panel. You will not have damaged the actual thruster. Vetus will be able to repair the panel (or rather send it back to the people that make it).

Gibbo

You could well have zapped the control panel. You will not have damaged the actual thruster. Vetus will be able to repair the panel (or rather send it back to the people that make it).

Gibbo

Thanks. I'll get on to Vetus.

You said you've checked the external fuses. On my Vetus 75kgf bowthruster the fuse is internal, fitted on the actual motor cover panel - an auto blade type. Even though you've got volts at the thruster terminal connections this fuse may be blown.

PS 5kgf? surely bigger than that?

Edited by ChrisPy

You said you've checked the external fuses. On my Vetus 75kgf bowthruster the fuse is internal, fitted on the actual motor cover panel - an auto blade type. Even though you've got volts at the thruster terminal connections this fuse may be blown.

PS 5kgf? surely bigger than that?

Haha! 55kgf. I've checked the mega-fuse between the thruster and the battery. Next time I'm at the boat I'll look for more fuses.