What type of anti freeze?

kayak

Featured Posts

Morning All.

I have looked through the manual for my engine and cant see any referance to what type of antifreeze to use in my isuzu engine. I dont really know if there are differant types but if there is i want the correct one so i dont invalidate my warrenty.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Kayak.

Kayak

You asked a similar question in October, http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...freeze&st=0 as you are worried the warranty, I suspect that the boat or engine are fairly new, the best way to find out what has been used is to contact the boat builder or the engine fitter.

Edited by bottle

Kayak

You asked a similar question in October, http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...freeze&st=0 as you are worried the warranty, I suspect that the boat or engine are fairly new, the best way to find out what has been used is to contact the boat builder or the engine fitter.

I have just contacted the engine maker and they are getting back to me. I just wanted to know what other people use. We have had nightime temps of around -3 predicted and it always colder where we are. I need to top up my Isuzu 4x4 also so really wanted to know if the same stuff i normally buy would do the job.

It looks like it will. I have just been called back by HMI and told "Any standard antifreeze". Case closed.

K

I have just contacted the engine maker and they are getting back to me. I just wanted to know what other people use. We have had nightime temps of around -3 predicted and it always colder where we are. I need to top up my Isuzu 4x4 also so really wanted to know if the same stuff i normally buy would do the job.

It looks like it will. I have just been called back by HMI and told "Any standard antifreeze". Case closed.

K

As far as I know there is a limited range of what is sensible to use: 1. Common salt. This will work but will rot your engine from the inside. 2. Methanol. This works but doesn't last long because it evaporates. 3. Ethylene Glycol. That's the badger. It gives a good reduction of freezing point and provides corrosion inhibition too.

Nick

Check what colour it is and use more of the same. The newer red/orange ones shouldn't be mixed with the blue.

Yes, this has been comprehensively answered on the forum before, I'm sure.

You are unlikely to find old Methanol based anti-freezes on sale, unless you go somewhere extremely "bargain basement".

Until relatively recently the answer would therefore have been any Ethelyne Glycol one with a blue / green colour.

But as Neil says, there are modern antifreezes, (I'm not sure what they contain) with a red or orange hue.

You can use either, but not mix. It's OK to fully flush one, and substitute the other.

Either, in the right concentration, will provide much more frost protection than any temperatures we are ever likely to plummet to in the UK, (and will not, I believe lose that property, unless diluted by topping up with water only).

The differences seem to be in the price, (the newer is much more expensive), and in the time they claim to carry out their other function as a corrosion inhibitor. Typical Halfords ones say they should be changed every 2 years for blue/green ones, but only every 5 years for red/orange.

If that's wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me!

As far as I know there is a limited range of what is sensible to use: 1. Common salt. This will work but will rot your engine from the inside. 2. Methanol. This works but doesn't last long because it evaporates. 3. Ethylene Glycol. That's the badger. It gives a good reduction of freezing point and provides corrosion inhibition too.

Nick

Isuzu recomend Ethylene Glycol at a mix of 50/50mix, just make sure you pre mix it befor toping up as it may not mix correctly if you put it in neat and can damage your engine.