Birds

Smelly

Featured Posts

I've seen two raptors that look to be the same species in the last couple of weeks but I can't identify 'em. About the size of a Kestrel but all mottled grey back as opposed to the browny colour, pale breast with a distinct dark band right across about a third of the way down their breast. Yellowish beaks but i've not had chance to look at the legs as they've been flying.

I've hunted the image galleries looking for an obvious match but to no avail.

Saw one at Alvechurch the weekend before last, flew across us about 6 inches of the roof, and another crossed my path on the walk to the station near Earlswood.

The yellowish beak would make me think Peregrine but it's not really the terrain for them, and anyways they seem to prefer the City Centre around these parts.

I don't think they were pigeons... :lol:

I've seen two raptors that look to be the same species in the last couple of weeks but I can't identify 'em. About the size of a Kestrel but all mottled grey back as opposed to the browny colour, pale breast with a distinct dark band right across about a third of the way down their breast. Yellowish beaks but i've not had chance to look at the legs as they've been flying.

I've hunted the image galleries looking for an obvious match but to no avail.

Saw one at Alvechurch the weekend before last, flew across us about 6 inches of the roof, and another crossed my path on the walk to the station near Earlswood.

The yellowish beak would make me think Peregrine but it's not really the terrain for them, and anyways they seem to prefer the City Centre around these parts.

I don't think they were pigeons... :lol:

Could they be Marsh Hairrers RSPB clicky Who has got lost or escaped.

Edited by NB Phoenix

Nah, pale bib, darker strip below on breast. They were a bit small for Buzzards as well

Oops, got it backwards.

How about this one? http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/...hleggedbuzzard/

I'm using the RSPB's bird finder. I may have some of the information wrong but that is the most likely raptor in my results. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdidentifier/

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family

Could they be Sparrowhawks? The male has a grey back and the size sounds about right. Sometimes see them were we live (on the edge of town). They also tend to fly very close to fixed objects (like your roof).

Edited by Rojo

Could they be Sparrowhawks? The male has a grey back and the size sounds about right. Sometimes see them were we live (on the edge of town). They also tend to fly very close to fixed objects (like your roof).

And buzz along the tops of hedgerows, diving over to the far side to catch their unwitting prey. Gets my vote.

It is the dark band on the breast that is throwing me. All the raptors I've found that are close have a scalloped pattern on their breast.

And me... I'd say Hen Harrier but it was nowhere near the distribution and they're that rare that seeing two in two weeks is beyond the pail.

I'll go with Sparrowhawk wouldn't be too difficult to get the bar confused when I'm busy steering. Makes most sense considering their, err, flight patterns and considering how common they are two in two weeks would make sense.

Ah well, so much for twitching