Adverc connections

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

I am in the process of refitting and rewiring the batteries on 'Alnwick' - I changed the batteries today but I have not yet re-connected the external charger or Adverc Battery Management device. I have a wiring diagram and instructions for the charger so I am confident that I can check that it is properly connected and set-up but I do not have a wiring diagram or instructions for the 'Adverc' - can anyone tell me how it should be connected?

Otherwise, I shall just put it back as it was . . .

think this may help

http://www.advercusa.com/install.htm

have not downloaded it tho think its what you need

damn dont think it works doh

It worked for me - thanks! I knew there would be one somewhere.

Try this diagram Graham, from Adverc's UK site.

Thanks Allan, unfortunately this diagram doesn't show the split voltage relay set-up that I have but I have now downloaded the correct instructions from the USA site - until 'denboy' pointed it out, I didn't even know there was an Adverc USA site!

Can you adjust the charge on the Adverc?

As far as I can see, the charge voltage is pre-set.

There's a "twiddler" inside to adjust the charge voltage.

Graham: I thought you were using a relay based split charge system (?) so the problems that Adverc get around as a result of the diode based split charge problems don't exist. You could use either diagram. But you might as well use the proper one (which is fine for your syestem).

Gibbo

Graham: I thought you were using a relay based split charge system (?) so the problems that Adverc get around as a result of the diode based split charge problems don't exist. You could use either diagram. But you might as well use the proper one (which is fine for your syestem).

Yes, that's what I have. The new domestic batteries have been installed as in the diagram below.

I have downloaded the instructions and wiring diagrams for my Sterling International mains charger and the Adverc and hopefully, I will be re-installing these today. I have already noted a fault in the original charger wiring (only two of the three charging leads were connected) and this may have impaired its performance so I am hopeful that when the re-installation is complete, the whole system will work better.

battsnew.jpg

I understand that I must connect the 'Smartgauge' directly to the negative terminal on battery number one and the positive terminal on battery number four but is it also necessary to connect the charger and 'Adverc' directly to these terminals or would it be permissible to connect these elsewhere (for example, taking the positive lead from the charger to the battery side terminal of the isolation switch) in order to keep the battery wiring neat and tidy.

I understand that I must connect the 'Smartgauge' directly to the negative terminal on battery number one and the positive terminal on battery number four but is it also necessary to connect the charger and 'Adverc' directly to these terminals or would it be permissible to connect these elsewhere (for example, taking the positive lead from the charger to the battery side terminal of the isolation switch) in order to keep the battery wiring neat and tidy.

The red wire from the Adverc is the voltage sense wire, and must be connected direct to the battery terminal, for the same reasons as the smartguage wire. The blue wire looks like it's for power and could be connected elsewhere. That's how mine is done.

The reason for this is to avoid volt-drop from loads causing the adverc to sense a lower than real battery voltage. As long as the path from the battery terminal to the red wire doesn't include any conductors which carry significant current, that's fine. In my setup I have wire from the battery positive terminal which goes to a close-by fuse, and then several metres to the electronics cupboard where it's split and connected to the adverc red wire and the battery voltage sense terminal on the AH meter. There's another wire with a different fuse which supplies the adverc blue and the AH meter power terminal and a few other bits. That allows the adverc and AH meter to sense the correct battery voltage without the volt-drop caused by the loads that they impose.

MP.

Edited to add: If your charger is like mine, it doesn't have a district voltage-sense connection and relies on the main charge conductor being of suitably low resistance. That should be connected as directly as possible to the battery, but personally I'd want it to be on the isolatable side of the battery isolator for safety.

Edited by MoominPapa

I have already noted a fault in the original charger wiring (only two of the three charging leads were connected) and this may have impaired its performance so I am hopeful that when the re-installation is complete, the whole system will work better.

The Sterling charger will not function correctly if you leave one of its output terminals unconnected. So, indeed, you should see a big difference in your charging performance when you reconnect.

Chris