Water tank

snaps

Featured Posts

Hello All,

Some advice please, I had a stainless steel water tank made by my boat builder.(who will remain nameless??). I would think its around 2mm thick st steel, its about 55gal. My question is that when fitting it, it did not strike me as the strongest structure in the world? And it has no baffles?. I have never filled it past 1/4 full as the water sytem not fully plumbed in, but worry about it when full?. I am worrying over nothing?

Should it have baffles, shurely this would strengthen the sides and reduce water surges should there be an impact?

Thanks

Si

Hello All,

Some advice please, I had a stainless steel water tank made by my boat builder.(who will remain nameless??). I would think its around 2mm thick st steel, its about 55gal. My question is that when fitting it, it did not strike me as the strongest structure in the world? And it has no baffles?. I have never filled it past 1/4 full as the water sytem not fully plumbed in, but worry about it when full?. I am worrying over nothing?

Should it have baffles, shurely this would strengthen the sides and reduce water surges should there be an impact?

Thanks

Si

A stainless steel water tank is designed to contain water - not to absorb impacts. It should be located in a position inside the boat where the hull would take any impact. Most stainless tanks are in the bow with a few inches between the tank and the inside of the hull. If your tank is prone to impacts it's in the wrong place.

Full height internal baffles are used in tanks on bigger boats and ships to avoid the situation where all the liquid moves to one side of the tank adversely affecting handling, potentially leading to the boat capsizing. I suppose baffles would also stengthen the tank but reinforcement is probably a secondary issue. My integral tank holds approx 1275 litres and it has is no internal reinforcement.

A stainless steel water tank is designed to contain water - not to absorb impacts. It should be located in a position inside the boat where the hull would take any impact. Most stainless tanks are in the bow with a few inches between the tank and the inside of the hull. If your tank is prone to impacts it's in the wrong place.

Full height internal baffles are used in tanks on bigger boats and ships to avoid the situation where all the liquid moves to one side of the tank adversely affecting handling, potentially leading to the boat capsizing. I suppose baffles would also stengthen the tank but reinforcement is probably a secondary issue. My integral tank holds approx 1275 litres and it has is no internal reinforcement.

Hello,

Thanks

I was meaning impacts on the side of the boat which would cause the water to surge inside the tank which would have to be of suitable strength to contain this fource. The tank is clear of the sides of the boat. And held in at the base to prevent it shifting.

Si

Internal baffles are not really necessary for inland use. It dosen't get rough enough to make the water slop from one side to the other. :lol:

Some times the sides go 'bong' when your filling/emptying the tank. This led to a weld cracking on my fathers dutch barge. After repairs (following suveyors advice), the void between the bulkhead/sides and the water tank were filled with expanding foam. This stopped the 'bong' factor.

He did blow the roof off of the wheel house and loose his eyebrows during the process of using the expanding foam. The propellent in expanding foam is propane! He blamed the instructions being in Dutch :lol:

Depending on the time of year I use the "boing" as a sign that the tank is nearly full!

I've a 150 gal tank, stainless steel, no internal baffles as far as I know, and it's not given me a problem. To the best of my knowledge it's been their since the day she was first launched in '94.

Snaps - if you're that concerned about the tank ask the builder to replace it with thicker steel and put baffles in. After all - it's your boat and you are paying for it to be built the way you want.

Depending on the time of year I use the "boing" as a sign that the tank is nearly full!

I've a 150 gal tank, stainless steel, no internal baffles as far as I know, and it's not given me a problem. To the best of my knowledge it's been their since the day she was first launched in '94.

Snaps - if you're that concerned about the tank ask the builder to replace it with thicker steel and put baffles in. After all - it's your boat and you are paying for it to be built the way you want.

I would under normal circumstances but I have washed my hands of him?? It,s a long story but thanks for advice.

Happy boating

Si

I would under normal circumstances but I have washed my hands of him?? It,s a long story but thanks for advice.

Happy boating

Si

:lol: Come on then snaps dont be so flippin pc whos the flippin Boat builder........