Interesting solid fuel stoves

flatplane8

Featured Posts

Hi,

Since we've decided to remove the old Stanley range from our boat, I've been thinking about a replacement. We'll have some form of modern central heating (diesel boiler or Alde 3010), but it'd be nice to have a stove for the main living area.

Looking around, most boat stoves are variants of the 'square black box' variety, this is fine in itself, but does anyone have or have experience of anything different?

I know a couple of people (Charles123 and WarriorWoman) have antique stoves in their boats, and I've also seen the very cute looking 'little cod' stove from Davey and others.

The Old Dutch and Lockgate stoves are also nice, but oil fired.

Any more interesting ones out there?

Thanks! :lol:

Simon

Hi,

Since we've decided to remove the old Stanley range from our boat, I've been thinking about a replacement. We'll have some form of modern central heating (diesel boiler or Alde 3010), but it'd be nice to have a stove for the main living area.

Looking around, most boat stoves are variants of the 'square black box' variety, this is fine in itself, but does anyone have or have experience of anything different?

I know a couple of people (Charles123 and WarriorWoman) have antique stoves in their boats, and I've also seen the very cute looking 'little cod' stove from Davey and others.

Simon

We've got a Godin in our barge. French, very ornate, and you can see the flames. Quite common I think, but don't know whether they're still made.

Hi,

Simon

http://www.hotpod.co.uk/hotpod2.html Have a look at this one......If you have deep pockets :lol:

I rather like this one:

clicky

Bit pricey, though. I'd rather go to Normandy and find my own (and still have change from the £500).

Edited to say: Having just looked at the Hotpod's price, I think this one is pretty reasonable!

Edited by carlt

All good stuff! :lol:

I've seen the hotpod, and while it looks great, the price is a little off putting. good to hear about the Godin, any issues with it?

There are some quite funky stoves out there, but not specially for boat use. I have spoken to a few vendors and they're not entirely sure about the whole thing.

I guess with a boat stove (certainly for narrowboats and barges) the two main things are the ability to be fastened securely down, and to be able to run safely and effectively with a relatively short flue.

We have a Godin Radiolette in our n/b; it's from about 1930 and this model iis no longer in production. If I knew how to, I would post a photo of it, but I don't. Godin, however, are still thriving and make a wide range of modern and traditional stoves and cookers. One of the smaller models, called I think a Petit Godin (well it would be, wouldn't it?) turns up fairly often in antique shops and on eBay.

We've got a Godin in our barge. French, very ornate, and you can see the flames. Quite common I think, but don't know whether they're still made.

Yes, they are still made. I have one in my house - I just bought it to replace the previous one which had done 20 odd years of service. Here's the link

http://www.lawton-imports.co.uk/unitrader/...-Small-Round/44

And when we eventually sell up the house and move onto the vboat more or less permanently, it will replace the Squirrel Morso one.

The Godin stay in a treat, throws out an excellent heat and has a hot ring on the top - many is the meal I've cooked on it! In fact, after the storm of '87 when we were without electricity for 11 days, loads of my friends in the village had their hot meals courtesy of the Petit Godin!

Stickleback

Yes, they are still made. I have one in my house - I just bought it to replace the previous one which had done 20 odd years of service. Here's the link

http://www.lawton-imports.co.uk/unitrader/...-Small-Round/44

And when we eventually sell up the house and move onto the vboat more or less permanently, it will replace the Squirrel Morso one.

The Godin stay in a treat, throws out an excellent heat and has a hot ring on the top - many is the meal I've cooked on it! In fact, after the storm of '87 when we were without electricity for 11 days, loads of my friends in the village had their hot meals courtesy of the Petit Godin!

Stickleback

That's the chap! Didn't know it was still available. Cracking little thing, which always recieves complimentary remarks when someone comes on board. We burn peat briquettes on ours, and it stays in a treat.

Hello. I'm fitting a stove into my engine room, it has to be small and will only be used to keep me warm whilst cruising through the cold days so doesn't have to stay in all night. As cost and size is important, i'm making it myself. I'll cut the top off a medium sized gas cylinder and fit a flat top then using an old door i have from an essy stove i'll build out from the front to fit the door. Nice and cheap and when painted they look rather good too. :lol: