Barrus Oil Pressure Guage

Featured Posts

My oil pressure guage is throwing a wobbly. On start up from cold the neddle goes to the extreme high side. When warmed up and at idle it goes to correct setting, 40 ish, rev, either in gear or not and the neddle goes to extreme high again. When cruising at,say, 1050 revs it slowly comes back down to normal but i=f you then rev as in stopping the neddle goes high.

I am told it may be a faulty sender and these are I am told £70.00 + the dreaded.

Any experience or suggestions.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

My oil pressure guage is throwing a wobbly. On start up from cold the neddle goes to the extreme high side. When warmed up and at idle it goes to correct setting, 40 ish, rev, either in gear or not and the neddle goes to extreme high again. When cruising at,say, 1050 revs it slowly comes back down to normal but i=f you then rev as in stopping the neddle goes high.

I am told it may be a faulty sender and these are I am told £70.00 + the dreaded.

Any experience or suggestions.

Martyn

Could be that the pressure-relief valve is blocked or stuck. On some engines these are accessible from the outside of the engine; others are buried in the oil pump. There may be someone around who knows where it is on the Barrus.

MP.

It doesn't sound overly like a sender problem to me.

I'm rather afraid that MP's suggestion s the more likely.

If it is, just hope you do not have the kind of engine where complete removal of the engine is required to access the offending part. :lol: (Been there, done that..... :lol: )

If it is a jammed or blocked valve, you really ought to find out quickly, and use the engine as little as possible until sorted.