Finrads?

kayak

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Just a quick question before i attempt to post my proposed plumbing layout for you all to have a look (and possibly laugh!) at.

Is there any benefit to plumbing finrads in paralell or is in series ok?

Cheers all.

Kayak.

P.S. I know i cant have my kayak and heat it before you start! :lol:

Just a quick question before i attempt to post my proposed plumbing layout for you all to have a look (and possibly laugh!) at.

:lol:

Series - less pipework, less valves - cannot control radiators individually, cannot isolate leaks.

Use in open plan environments with simple heating systems, back boiler etc.

Parallel - idividual control, easier to isolate leaks, more flexible - more pipework, more valves

Use in segmented environments where temperatures need to vary or more complex heating systems e.g. combi etc.

:lol:

Series - less pipework, less valves - cannot control radiators individually, cannot isolate leaks.

Use in open plan environments with simple heating systems, back boiler etc.

Parallel - idividual control, easier to isolate leaks, more flexible - more pipework, more valves

Use in segmented environments where temperatures need to vary or more complex heating systems e.g. combi etc.

Hi Robin

How/why would you plumb a finrad in parallel, they are designed to work in series. Are we talking single pipe rads or twin pipe rads? With a twin pipe rad you could double up the flow through both pipes and run a separate return which makes it a three pipe system.

If the amount of finrads required has been calculated correctly then they are as good, if not better than standard rads. I run a twin pipe finrad system using one flow one return on a 70' boat for heating and hot water, fed off a Hurricane, and it is more than adequate. The rads I used are rated at 500wpm (watts per meter)

Hi all.

Cheers all.

Kayak.

P.S. I know i cant have my kayak and heat it before you start! :lol:

Hi There

Be sure you have enough plain walls to fit these rads, its seems at 500w/mt you will need 10 mtres (most in the lounge area) of finrad to achieve 5kw - the bare minimum (IMHO) for a narrowboat in winter.

Alex

Hi Robin

How/why would you plumb a finrad in parallel, they are designed to work in series. Are we talking single pipe rads or twin pipe rads? With a twin pipe rad you could double up the flow through both pipes and run a separate return which makes it a three pipe system.

My experience of them is in situations where wall space is limited or where there is a lot of glass. For a particular room or area they might be connected in series, but it is how they connect to the system or indeed which system is installed that is important.

The advantage of two pipe rads is in being able to return the flow back to the same point without additional pipework.

I would expect that on a narrowboat the simplest thing would be to run them down one side in series!

We've got:

Bedroom: 1m 2 pipe finrad

Bathroom: towel rad

Bunk room: towel rad

Saloon : 2 x 1m two pipe finrad.

There's not enough room in the bathroom for a finrad. The bunk room doesn't have enough empty wall to take a finrad, hence the towel rail, plus you can't dry towels on a finrad.