Licence for the trent?

BeckyJC

Featured Posts

All,

I am planning to take my narrowboat up the trent in a couple of weeks' time, and am in the process that I have the correct licence etc.

According to waterscape, the final part of the Trent which I plan to cruise (heading up to the Chesterfield canal) is not BW water, but falls under Associated British Ports. So, it looks like I need another licence? Can I get a short term (say 1-week) licence to cruise up here?

All help / advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Becky

All,

I am planning to take my narrowboat up the trent in a couple of weeks' time, and am in the process that I have the correct licence etc.

According to waterscape, the final part of the Trent which I plan to cruise (heading up to the Chesterfield canal) is not BW water, but falls under Associated British Ports. So, it looks like I need another licence? Can I get a short term (say 1-week) licence to cruise up here?

All help / advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Becky

Your British Waterways License (Assuming you have one) is all you need to navigate the River Trent.

Do however realise that the Trent downstream from Newark (Cromwell Lock) is tidal so please do your research as to timings and safety precautions.

Tim

Your British Waterways License (Assuming you have one) is all you need to navigate the River Trent.

Do however realise that the Trent downstream from Newark (Cromwell Lock) is tidal so please do your research as to timings and safety precautions.

Tim

Great news on the licence, thanks guys! Am researching heavily around the river being tidal, as this will be my first time on a tidal river. Any pointers to helpful resources greatly received.

Cheers,

B

Becky,

Suggest you PM Odana on this forum, she finished the passage to Keadby yesterday

(I'll send a text warning her!)

Patrick

Thanks so much - pm sent to Odana.

Oooh one more question too....am I correct in thinking that I HAVE to get an anchor for cruising on tidal river, and VHF is recommended but not compulsory?

Cheers,

B

Oooh one more question too....am I correct in thinking that I HAVE to get an anchor for cruising on tidal river, and VHF is recommended but not compulsory?

Cheers,

B

No one insists that you have one (or at least no one checks) but you'd be very unwise to go without one. I hope Odaneawon't mind me saying that I insisted on lending her mine when I was told of her anchor (best described as a fishing hook with climbing rope attached) and when she saw the difference Nicki went and bought her own! Life jackets are a good idea too

When you get to Cromwell Lock moor up then have a word with the Lockie, he will give you all the advice you need, take it seriously as he knows the river. Re a VHF radio, not essential but if you do not have one, a Mobile phone is. If you are a bit apprehensive you can always travel with another boat.

And leave 'Muddy Waters' on a safe mooring..............................................................sorry, I'll get my coat.

And leave 'Muddy Waters' on a safe mooring..............................................................sorry, I'll get my coat.

Haha yes, I have to admit I am a little apprehensive about this whole river malarkey, but my new job, boyfriend and family are all up there, so I NEED to do this!

Call the lock keepers in advance for advice on when to go where so you can plan your options. Some tides are stronger than others and depending on times of day you may be able to hop down in little stages. I was fretting about pushing the tide for parts of Torksey-Keadby and ended up, on advice of lockkeeper, doing an early tide Torksey-Gainsborough (arriving just as the tide turned) and sat out the tide at Gainsborough. Watched upstream boats speed by in a flash on the tide and a downstream boat struggling to make headway and was very grateful not to be fighting it too with my wee engine. Caught the next tide out to Keadby.

After months of build up it was all surprisingly relaxing except for two minutes of sheer terror approaching, then walloping, Keadby lock - my boat isn't well ballasted and I've never seen her lean quite as far as during the turn! Still shaking 24 hours later. As you approach, ring the lock keeper who'll tell you when and how to turn - I was told to start turning as you pass the blue crane, then you're about right to shoot in. Torksey and Cromwell are easy. west Stockwith looks 'interesting' to get into.

Keadby looks bleak, but is probably the best mooring spot - beyond is also bleak and you follow the train lines and the freight trains carrying coal and steel pass by 5m away all night!

Yes get an anchor. Millar Marine in Shardow have a decent selection and were helpful.

Lifejackets good - almost everyone seems to wear them

Don't think about it without crew - that's for experts, methinks

Will PM you

Did it last year at the height of the floods, I think the floods actually made the Trent easier. Dodgy moments were going through arches at Newark , didn't have enough way on , though still going like the clappers, so give it some stick through there. Keadby a bit hairy, best option to go past, turn and enter against the river flow. Couple of reasonable pubs at Keadby, + showers and bogs. Next civilised stop is Thorne, about 3 1/2 hours from Keadby, pubs by the canal near the new swing bridge, marina with nice club house just above Thorne lock. Would worry about meeting the Aegir coming upstream, only occurs on certain dates, much worse at spring tides.

See here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/commo...008_1657554.pdf

Note the "small " wave is 4.5metres! :lol: Makes me go weak at the knees thinking about it.

Anybody ever experienced one?

Would worry about meeting the Aegir coming upstream, only occurs on certain dates, much worse at spring tides.

See here http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/commo...008_1657554.pdf

Note the "small " wave is 4.5metres! :lol: Makes me go weak at the knees thinking about it.

Anybody ever experienced one?

I've seen one once at Stockwith, a fair sized one at that, but it's rare that a boat would be travelling at the bottom of the tide in the areas where it is a problem. The lock keepers will advise you if there is likely to be one, most times there isn't, and it's only on big springs that you get anything worth mentioning.

I think EA have made a mistake, and that should be feet - 14 meters is higher than the banks!

Cheers,

Mike

I've seen one once at Stockwith, a fair sized one at that, but it's rare that a boat would be travelling at the bottom of the tide in the areas where it is a problem. The lock keepers will advise you if there is likely to be one, most times there isn't, and it's only on big springs that you get anything worth mentioning.

I think EA have made a mistake, and that should be feet - 14 meters is higher than the banks!

Cheers,

Mike

I hope they have. However, even 14 feet makes me worry.

Edited by Big Steve

Oh, and watch out for the commercial boat traffic. Large 500 ton gravel barges load at Rampton, heading for Leeds and Wakefield, via Trent Falls/Goole of course.

I hope they have. However, even 14 feet makes me worry.

I've seen video footage of the aegir going right over a gravel barge beached and awaiting the tide.... :lol:

Oh, and watch out for the commercial boat traffic. Large 500 ton gravel barges load at Rampton, heading for Leeds and Wakefield, via Trent Falls/Goole of course.

Becky

I echo the above - speak to the Lockeeper at Cromwell well in advance for advice and timings.

Be aware that there are a few stoppages planned for the Trent in the coming weeks. Some generating equipment is being shipped on a very large ( by Trent standards) pontoon with tugs fore and aft, from Hull to Cottam which is south of Gainsborough. Whilst these shipments are in transit they are closing the river to other users. I think the next one is scheduled for the end of this week but , once again, lockeepers will advise.

Chris

Chris (and all),

Thanks so much for the advice. Where can I find out about the stoppages on the Trent? I just re-checked Waterscape, but can see no mention of this!

Also, how far in advance is "well in advance"? I was planning on setting off on 3/4 Oct and phoning the lock keepers around the same time, as it will take me a few days to get up there, all being well. Is that too far in advance? Want to absorb as much useful information as possible without harassing the poor lock keepers!

Thanks,

Becky

Chris (and all),

Thanks so much for the advice. Where can I find out about the stoppages on the Trent? I just re-checked Waterscape, but can see no mention of this!

Also, how far in advance is "well in advance"? I was planning on setting off on 3/4 Oct and phoning the lock keepers around the same time, as it will take me a few days to get up there, all being well. Is that too far in advance? Want to absorb as much useful information as possible without harassing the poor lock keepers!

Thanks,

Becky

Again, Odana probably has chapter and verse. Tides are very predictable so you can ask a long way in advance: I'd leave it until you are reasonably certain of your proposed timings though so about a week before would be enough. The "stoppages" are for large loads (generators for a power station) going up the Trent and the dates are known: that said I don't know them! Ask the lock keepers when you ring: they will tell you if you can't make your proposed passage but unless you ask they may not mention that if you are delayed the next tide is not open to you.

Chris (and all),

Thanks,

Becky

Dear Becky

Below is the stoppage info from Waterscape.

==============================================================

25 - 27 Sep 2008 Stoppage: Cromwell Lock & Torksey Lock – River Trent Freight movements

Associated Regional Office: BW East Midlands

Update 22/08/08

Boat movements will be possible between Cromwell Lock and Torksey Lock and vice versa under the advice of the lock keepers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As large-scale equipment is to be transported on the river between Hull and the village of Cottam, located upstream of Gainsborough, it is necessary to restrict access to other river users.

Subsequently Cromwell Lock will be closed to boat traffic from 8pm on 25th September until 7am on 27th September.

Restrictions will also be in place at Torksey Lock. River users will be notified of any changes to these details.

(Enquiries: 01636 704481)

30 Sep 2008 - 02 Oct 2008 Restriction: Cromwell Lock & Torksey Lock – River Trent Freight movements

Associated Regional Office: BW East Midlands

As large-scale equipment is to be transported on the river between Hull to the Ro-Ro ramp at Cottam Power Station, located upstream of Gainsborough, therefore it is necessary to restrict access to other river users. Subsequently Cromwell Lock will be closed to boat traffic from 4pm on 30th September until 8am on 2nd October. Restrictions will also be in place at Torksey Lock. Boaters will be notified of any changes to these details. Boat movements may be possible between Cromwell Lock and Torksey Lock, and vice versa under the advice of the lock keepers only.

BW apologises for any inconvenience caused.

(Enquiries: 01636 704481)

================================================================

Speak to the locky at Cromwell when you are reasonably sure of your dates.

Have you got a copy of the Boating Association Trent Charts??

If you are going into W Stockwith the locky at Cromwell will advise Stockwith you are on the way. If you haven't got VHF I would suggest phoning Stockwith as you pass through Gainsborough so that they know what time you'll be there ( actually I'd do that even if you have got VHF!) . BW Newark ( tel as above) also have a guide to using W Stockwith lock which they will post you and which advises the best ways of entering the lock.

Chris