Dumb Narrowboat Question

Mark Cotton

Featured Posts

I've become obsessed with planning a narrowboat holiday next year, coming from the U.S. My wife and I have been studying the brochures and websites of hire companies and have a question about the newer narrowboats that most of the hire companies use:

Is the electricity that runs the lights, heating, etc. produced by the narrowboat's engine? And, if so, does that mean the engine must be running to have lights, or is there some sort of battery arrangement?

Hi Mark,

Firstly welcome, i and everyone here will tell you it is going to be one of the most memorable holidays you will have.

As for the electric, lights etc are generally 12volt and hire boats have more than sufficient battery capacity for all your needs during your moored (parked) hours, the batteries will charge easily on a hire craft in the time you are moving.

some larger items, like microwaves use mains voltage which is supplied via an invertor, which again takes the initial power from the batteries, these items do need to be used with some regard to their consumsion.

The battery used to start the engine is almost always seperate from the 'domestic' batteries, so even if you do manage to flatten the domestic ones then you will still have the power to start the engine and re-charge the flat ones.

Do you have any ideas yet as to which area you are considering? how long a vaccation you are planning?

There are always plenty of people here who will ask any questions you have, dumb or not, we just want you to have a good time!

Duztee

Hi Mark, most narrowboats have 2 battery banks often each with it's own alternator to recharge them.

One battery is reserved for engine starting and the others for domestic use, lighting etc.

That said, this is usually a 12volt system. Many boaters will extend this by the addition of an inverter to power a 240 volt ring main off which you can run ordinary domestic appliances which are easier to obtain and cheaper than 12 volt versions.

The 240 volt ring can also be powered off a pontoon land based supply should there be one available.

Hope this helps.

regards and enjoy your planning.

David

Edit :- and Duztee beat me to the answer by 4 minutes!

Edited by Bullfrog

Hi Mark,

Firstly welcome, i and everyone here will tell you it is going to be one of the most memorable holidays you will have.

As for the electric, lights etc are generally 12volt and hire boats have more than sufficient battery capacity for all your needs during your moored (parked) hours, the batteries will charge easily on a hire craft in the time you are moving.

some larger items, like microwaves use mains voltage which is supplied via an invertor, which again takes the initial power from the batteries, these items do need to be used with some regard to their consumsion.

The battery used to start the engine is almost always seperate from the 'domestic' batteries, so even if you do manage to flatten the domestic ones then you will still have the power to start the engine and re-charge the flat ones.

Do you have any ideas yet as to which area you are considering? how long a vaccation you are planning?

There are always plenty of people here who will ask any questions you have, dumb or not, we just want you to have a good time!

Duztee

Thanks Duztee! Currently, we're leaning towards doing the Caldon Canal, starting at Etruria and doing both the Froghall and Leek branches. We're planning on one week and the only hesitation we have with this plan is that we are planning on starting and ending where the Caldon branches off from the main Trent & Mersey and since there won't be more than an hour or two cruising time on the starting and ending days we will end up mooring overnight in a relatively urban area. I haven't used CanalPlannerAC yet to figure out exactly where those overnighting spots will be, but once I do I may be back to ask about the safety of the area.

Thanks Duztee! Currently, we're leaning towards doing the Caldon Canal, starting at Etruria and doing both the Froghall and Leek branches. We're planning on one week and the only hesitation we have with this plan is that we are planning on starting and ending where the Caldon branches off from the main Trent & Mersey and since there won't be more than an hour or two cruising time on the starting and ending days we will end up mooring overnight in a relatively urban area. I haven't used CanalPlannerAC yet to figure out exactly where those overnighting spots will be, but once I do I may be back to ask about the safety of the area.

I guess you'll be hiring from Black Prince, then, at Etruria. Most Hire firms start the hire at mid-afternoon, which would give you time to get to Milton (best moorings are past the bridge). You'd be best using your last full day to come right down to Etruria, and moor either ouside the museum or outside the Black Prince yard. Do't miss the Hollybush pub at Hazehurst (acess either from the Leek branch up on the aqueduct, or moor ouside the pub) If you're lucky you may see (and hear) the famous tug'o'war team practising.

Cheers

Mac

I guess you'll be hiring from Black Prince, then, at Etruria. Most Hire firms start the hire at mid-afternoon, which would give you time to get to Milton (best moorings are past the bridge). You'd be best using your last full day to come right down to Etruria, and moor either ouside the museum or outside the Black Prince yard. Do't miss the Hollybush pub at Hazehurst (acess either from the Leek branch up on the aqueduct, or moor ouside the pub) If you're lucky you may see (and hear) the famous tug'o'war team practising.

Cheers

Mac

Yes, we'll be hiring from Black Prince at Etruria. Thank you for the advice. I got it scheduled out this past weekend using CanalPlannerAC and now just have to sit and watch the calendar tick by until next September. If anybody has any more advice for a newbie about pubs, mooring places, sights and stores along the way, feel free to chime in. :lol:

Thanks Duztee! Currently, we're leaning towards doing the Caldon Canal, starting at Etruria and doing both the Froghall and Leek branches. We're planning on one week and the only hesitation we have with this plan is that we are planning on starting and ending where the Caldon branches off from the main Trent & Mersey and since there won't be more than an hour or two cruising time on the starting and ending days we will end up mooring overnight in a relatively urban area.

Just a suggestion - go north, through the Harecastle Tunnel (an experience in itself) and try the Macclesfield Canal instead. The end bit of the Caldon is very rural, but there's a lot of general suburban nastiness first. The Macc is pretty, all the way along, and the Bosley flight of 12 locks is an experience worth savouring, especially if the sun shines. You can go as far as you want, then turn around and go back, whenever you fancy.

Just my tuppenceworth.

Give us a wave as you pass Scholar Green.

Yes, we'll be hiring from Black Prince at Etruria. Thank you for the advice. I got it scheduled out this past weekend using CanalPlannerAC and now just have to sit and watch the calendar tick by until next September. If anybody has any more advice for a newbie about pubs, mooring places, sights and stores along the way, feel free to chime in. :lol:

Hi Mark, I live a stones throw from the Calden at the branch with the Trent&Mersey, Ive been up there today looking at possible moorings at Denford, I think its a good choice for you its lovely up there.

Martin.

Hello,

I hope you have a great holiday on our lovely canal system.

Make sure you book fine weather.

If your not experienced with boats, can I suggest that you and all your crew practice rope throwing and coiling before you set off. Its really useful to be able to throw ropes quickly if a situation develops, and you don't want the rope getting round the prop.

Also check the rope IS connected to something before you throw it !

There was a thread on suggestions for novices but I can't find it.

Edited by jake_crew

Just a suggestion - go north, through the Harecastle Tunnel (an experience in itself) and try the Macclesfield Canal instead. The end bit of the Caldon is very rural, but there's a lot of general suburban nastiness first. The Macc is pretty, all the way along, and the Bosley flight of 12 locks is an experience worth savouring, especially if the sun shines. You can go as far as you want, then turn around and go back, whenever you fancy.

Just my tuppenceworth.

Give us a wave as you pass Scholar Green.

The only problems with this is getting to the tunnel from the boatyard before the tunnel closes!! There are no pubs at this end!! Ok if you are eating on board.

We went from Black Prince two weeks ago and did the four counties, we decided not to go through the tunnel on the first day as we weren't sure what time we would get away from the boat yard.

Julie

Good luck on your trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and I'm sure it will be a welcome change from Hobbs. My family used to live in Clovis, just about 3 hours north of you. My dad was stationed at Cannon AFB.

I'm sure you've thought of this but the rumors of England being cold and damp are true. Not sure if you're originally from NM or not but my wife is from VA and could have fared a bit better even with a cardigan, that was in early October, I think. Stock up on the warm clothes and maybe a good set of rubber boots for the canal.

(Course I'm stuck in VA, what would I know :lol:)

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family