fitting a stove

Mac49

Featured Posts

I'm about ready to finish fitting my squirrel but wanted to make sure i'm doing the right thing where the flue exits the collar. I've got a piece of inch thick glass rope to pack the gap, do I put fire cement on top of this to seal it as I would where the flue enters the stove? Sorry if this has cropped up before but when I searched I could only find threads about sealing the collar to the roof etc.

Cheers Rick

When Eddie fitted our Boatmans stove, he did exactly that.

He made sure that the inch thick glass rope went at least all the way around, it actually overlapped a bit. It was half way between the collar, leaving enough of a gap which then was filled with fire cement, which was smoothed down with a wet thumb.

HTH

I'm about ready to finish fitting my squirrel but wanted to make sure i'm doing the right thing where the flue exits the collar. I've got a piece of inch thick glass rope to pack the gap, do I put fire cement on top of this to seal it as I would where the flue enters the stove? Sorry if this has cropped up before but when I searched I could only find threads about sealing the collar to the roof etc.

Cheers Rick

You mean where the flue exits the deck collar? If so don't use fire cement - use hight temp silicone such as Plumba Flue

http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=80&pr=dctm

The problem with fire cement is that it goes brittle and any movement such as when you remove your chimney will crack it. The high temp silicone will also stop water ingress much better.

Some people use Plumba Flue for the stove collar too, but most high temp silicone only goes up to 300 deg C so stick to fire cement down there.

Edited by blackrose

You mean where the flue exits the deck collar? If so don't use fire cement - use hight temp silicone such as Plumba Flue

http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx?id=80&pr=dctm

The problem with fire cement is that it goes brittle and any movement such as when you remove your chimney will crack it. The high temp silicone will also stop water ingress much better.

Some people use Plumba Flue for the stove collar too, but most high temp silicone only goes up to 300 deg C so stick to fire cement down there.

I've got some plumbaflue which I used to seal the collar to the roof, I just wasn't sure how hot the flue gets at that point as I've never had a stove before, but if yours has lasted OK then i'll give it a go tomorrow if the weather's not too bad.

Cheers Rick