Alternator

Featured Posts

HI

Can anyone tell me what type / make /output etc. of alternator I have. Does it have an external sense lead?

Pictures below.

I am changing the batteries so will also take the option to check wiring etc. etc. at the same time.

The engine is a KUBOTA D1703. The narrowboat was originally a Black Knight (1989) but has had a few alteration/modifications (probably includes new engine).

Can anyone give me info on the alternator presently attached (no markings or plates visible, but still working fine)?

If I should need to replace it in the future, what would people recommend? (I may wish to power a small invertor (1kW or so) in the future).

Trevor

altntr01.jpg

altntr02.jpg

HI

Can anyone tell me what type / make /output etc. of alternator I have. Does it have an external sense lead?

Pictures below.

I am changing the batteries so will also take the option to check wiring etc. etc. at the same time.

The engine is a KUBOTA D1703. The narrowboat was originally a Black Knight (1989) but has had a few alteration/modifications (probably includes new engine).

Can anyone give me info on the alternator presently attached (no markings or plates visible, but still working fine)?

If I should need to replace it in the future, what would people recommend? (I may wish to power a small invertor (1kW or so) in the future).

Trevor

altntr01.jpg

altntr02.jpg

Lucas A127

Doesn't appear to have an external sense lead on.

That's the common or garden Lucas A127. by the appearance it could be 45, 55, 65, or 70A, most likely 65. It has no external sense lead. If you should need to replace it in the future I would suggest another A127/65, they are common and inexpensive and fairly robust and reliable. In addition, if you should get an "opposite hand" unit (bracketed to fit the other side of the engine) then it is a simple matter to remove the 3 through bolts, spin the front bracket through 120 degrees and re-fit the bolts. If you would like to boost the charge voltage a little, remove the regulator, (the bit at the back behind the blue connector) and insert a diode into the yellow lead you find therein, band towards the regulator. An easily reversible mod worth experimenting with.

Cannot be certain but it looks very similar to an A127.

I don't believe there is a single phase terminal on it and I don't think any were fitted with external sense, unless it was by special request?

You will need to try and identify an alternative which fits the mountings, either by asking at a motor factors (e.g. Lucas) or searching the intenet for maufacturers (something like as AS123 should fit).

With an A127, it should be able to deliver 40-60A, so with enough engine time, should handle 1KW inverter.

It could be modified if needed, but not likely to be an advantage without an external controller (which is more likely to handle external sensing)?

Why do you want external sensing?

Why do you want external sensing?

Need to have a good look at the wiring etc. some needs replacing, fairly poor condition.

If external sense I would simply extend it to create Battery sensing.

I am an electronics engineer, but have not had any real experience with alternators and vehicle / boat wiring setup.

Hence not being able to recognise what is obviouly a common alternator.

I will now away and look up the specification, any ideas on how to find out what output it has got??

Thanks

Trevor

Terminal "W", 5mm stud terminal to the left of the picture.

Ah Ha! Didn't show up clearly on the picture!

I will now away and look up the specification, any ideas on how to find out what output it has got??

It must be at least 45A, there may be some markings on the brush housing/control unit?

Most A127's look pretty similar, I suppose you could connect up a low battery and use an ammeter!

The good news is that 70 amp models are available on e-Bay for a bit under £40, (but with carriage to add).

So it's not expensive to replace.

I've done this, retaining my older lower powered model as an on-board spare.