Local Rules

GRPCruiserman

Featured Posts

One thing they forget, which ordinary folk can't help but notice, is that you can make everything an offense, breach of contract, gross misconduct etc. But unless you have someone to enforce it, its all just meaningless political dogma and headline fodder.

Got a lock-in and smoke-in at a pub on the L&L last week, and a pizza delivery at 1.00am......... crawled back to the boat about 2.30. Two non smokers on the crew even had a fag to celebrate..... :lol:

You only need the rudder whilst you are actually on the mooring, I suppose, so you could fit a gudgeon and pintle like on a sailing boat, and fit the rudder whilst on the mooring then remove it when you move off and use the outboard, or just let it 'flap about'.

Reminds me of the way that working boats were made compliant with the requirements of the Canal Boats Act, requiring them to have a solid door separating the two cabins...... A tiny door was fitted to comply with the rules, then curtains divided the cabins as they always had done.....

This one is bizzare!

4. Condition of Boats

4.1 The Boat must possess the attributes of motion i.e. recognisable bow and stern, gunwales and

rudder.

Why? Wouldn't it be better to say they must be capable of motion? Many a BW workboat would fall foul of that one, being blunt at both ends...

All in all, I'm glad I've got a marina mooring now!

"Don't waste words" it says on your signature, that sort of cutting and pasting, I usually put down to laziness..

Do you really object to all of those rules, I find some of them a little odd, but reading between the lines I can see what they are getting at in every case.. People should complain about such rules only if they are enforced in an unreasonable or excessively authoritative manner..

The deeds of my house tell me that I must not change the colour of the paintwork, but I and other sensible people know very well that as long as I don't use day-glow pink and orange together no one will bother.

'Oh my God' have I sent the last 20 minutes defending BW.. I think I will go and lie down for a while.

If the rules can be enforced unreasonably they will be.

This one is bizzare!

4. Condition of Boats

4.1 The Boat must possess the attributes of motion i.e. recognisable bow and stern, gunwales and

rudder.

Why? Wouldn't it be better to say they must be capable of motion? Many a BW workboat would fall foul of that one, being blunt at both ends...

All in all, I'm glad I've got a marina mooring now!

Capable of motion is a bit dodgy I reckon, I always used to take the outboard home in the winter, and off the boat for servicing etc, so would then fall foul of that one.

I don't see the point of the 'attributes of motion' What about 'Tom Puddings' they most certainly didn't fit this bill, I don't know why it's there in the first place. If you are insured and have a Boat Safety Cert, and have paid your licence fee, I don't see why you cant use the waterways.

As long as my car has an MOT, is insured, and I've paid my Road Tax, then as long as I have a license, I can drive it. The Ministry of Transport do not insist on my paint being shiney!!

As long as it's not hurting, inconveniencing, or offending anyone, and it is safe, where is the problem.

It reminds me a bit of the bit in the 'Kevin and Perry go Large' film where Paul Whitehouse playing the bouncer at the nightclub wont let the girls in because they are ugly and he gets his mirror out. He says something like: 'your faces offend me, no monsters' and turns them away. That is BW on these rules.

The Ministry of Transport do not insist on my paint being shiney!!

Not in the UK as yet..... However, there are countries in Europe where you can be stopped and spot-fined for having a dirty vehicle......and we all know what Europe does today, the UK does eventually.

Be afraid, be very afraid.... :lol:

Capable of motion is a bit dodgy I reckon, I always used to take the outboard home in the winter, and off the boat for servicing etc, so would then fall foul of that one.

I don't see the point of the 'attributes of motion' What about 'Tom Puddings' they most certainly didn't fit this bill, I don't know why it's there in the first place. If you are insured and have a Boat Safety Cert, and have paid your licence fee, I don't see why you cant use the waterways.

As long as my car has an MOT, is insured, and I've paid my Road Tax, then as long as I have a license, I can drive it. The Ministry of Transport do not insist on my paint being shiney!!

As long as it's not hurting, inconveniencing, or offending anyone, and it is safe, where is the problem.

It reminds me a bit of the bit in the 'Kevin and Perry go Large' film where Paul Whitehouse playing the bouncer at the nightclub wont let the girls in because they are ugly and he gets his mirror out. He says something like: 'your faces offend me, no monsters' and turns them away. That is BW on these rules.

It may be because BW do not wish to have moorings full of pontoon based houseboats or simple steel boxes lining the canals. for residential use a pontoon is ideal but if they were everywhere it would look a bit too much like a mobile home park and its possible this may attract complaints.

It may be because BW do not wish to have moorings full of pontoon based houseboats or simple steel boxes lining the canals. for residential use a pontoon is ideal but if they were everywhere it would look a bit too much like a mobile home park and its possible this may attract complaints.

I have a strong suspician you are right, but where these mooring are, the canal is pretty narrow, which is even more worrying if they have included this clause so the same wording can be used in other locations.