12v & 240v cables

jeb

Featured Posts

Hi all

The question is :

Is it acceptable for the 12v and 240v cables to cross each other in the electrical cupboard ?

The actual cable runs are kept seperate along the lenght of the boat, however when it comes to the invertor inside the cupboard I cannot find a way of connecting the 12v feed in and the 240v cables totaly seperate, there comes a point where they cross each other and I cannot keep the 30mm minimum seperation.

Hi all

The question is :

Is it acceptable for the 12v and 240v cables to cross each other in the electrical cupboard ?

The actual cable runs are kept seperate along the lenght of the boat, however when it comes to the invertor inside the cupboard I cannot find a way of connecting the 12v feed in and the 240v cables totaly seperate, there comes a point where they cross each other and I cannot keep the 30mm minimum seperation.

Hi Jeb. The thing is to take the greatest effort to keep a separation even to the extent of 'standing off' some cables and make sure they look very different by the use of markers of some kind.

Hi Jeb. The thing is to take the greatest effort to keep a separation even to the extent of 'standing off' some cables and make sure they look very different by the use of markers of some kind.

Hi John

thanks for your reply.

The 12v feed into the invertor are 70mm2 red and black and the 240v land line in and output to the fuse panel are in blue 2.5mm2 arctic cable. By standing off do you mean fixing some 50mm batten and creating a bridge ?

I would agree with John.

- Ive certainly seen 2.5m blue artic and 70mm^2 red and black cables cross each other on profesional boat wiring.

- Its good to keep them seperate, but with items like an inverter the is inherent close proximity so i wouldnt expect and issue.

Daniel

this is how I did it.

Not many crossovers and the DC and AC wiring are easy to distinguish.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...si&img=1203

you can also see how I managed the 250A fuse to the inverter and the 80A fuse to the DC distribution box, which was the subject of a recent thread.

Edited by chris polley

I understood that 12V & 230V cables should be separated, but running the 230V cable in flexible conduit is acceptable. I don't believe they should be in direct contact. May be ok for BSS, but not for RCD.