Llangollen & Shroppie

Ron

Featured Posts

Just returned from Holiday Ellesmere to Gas Street Basin & RTn.

Took a Canaltime boat from Blackwater Meadow Marina

Clean - everything worked - the microwave was a useful facility.

Rear saloon made sure the person at the tiller was not left isolated , which can happen with forward saloons, but no access to bows through boat, which could be a bit awkward. Massive bed at bow end was nice. Sit down shower was good.

Good and bod points. generally got the impression that quite a lot of space had been lost to the front bedroom. Another foot or so in the sallon would have helped.

Took a day out at the Black Country Museum (Dudley Tunnel) on way down ( some excellent Faggots & Peas at a local pub) and then a quick trip through the the Netherton Tunnel to view the bar at the Dry Dock Pub, which is made from a woooden barge.

Effect was particularly good as we were alll rocking from the boat anyway ... not sure about that strange white beer and the Desperate Dan pies did not seem to be on the menu.

Had a quiet night at Gas Street Basin (helped by rain) and then replemished stocks at local markets which are wondeful, consequently came away with rather more fresh fruit than we meant to and lived on Mango and Pinapple for the next few days.

Did a quick trip to the unpronoucable aquaduct(s) on way back, in some way the first with the railway bridge alongside was more impressive though both were incredible.

Traffic down the Llangollen was very quiet - I was expecting far worse in the first 2 weeks of August.

Only real queues of note were the two locks on the way up to the Aquaducts .... from what I could see it was a bad idea to head back to Ellesmere in the afternoon as the queues were horrendous, but an earlish strat the following day gave us a largely clear run through the locks.

The Shroppie was also quieter than expected, at times we were really wondering where all the boats had gone, especially when there was nobody comming the other way at locks!.

Had a very good two weeks and would be happy enough to use Canaltime again

Edited by Ron

replenished stocks at local markets which are wondeful, consequently came away with rather more fresh fruit than we meant to and lived on Mango and Pinapple for the next few days.

Hi Ron,

which market did you visit? It is a long way to lug fruit and veg from the main market down by St Martins, but I suppose if you value a good mango...

Richard

Hi Ron,

which market did you visit? It is a long way to lug fruit and veg from the main market down by St Martins, but I suppose if you value a good mango...

Richard

I don't think it was quite as far as St Martin's - it was a Friday and the Rag Market was shut so we headed for the two newer indoor markets and the vegetable market was set up outside a little further down.

Mind you as the Wife was born in the Black Country we were not going to get away without a fair tour of the markets and it was really only the weight of purchases that turned her back to the boat ... eventually.

She also fitted in the Jewellery quarter and a few other places.

Though at need lugging stuff back from St Martin's is worth it if it means ripe fruit and really fresh veg.

The only ripe fruit you see in supermarkets is the stuff they are about to chuck out!

Pinapples are usually at their best just before the leaves start dropping out they start to ferment.

..... Wife says it was "The Row" ... not that far from St Martin's

Glad you had a good time

its good to hear some positive feedback on canaltime, all i read is bad vibes all the which is very off putting as their prices are very reasonable.

any more feedback on them would be good.

what sizw boat was it 4/6 berth