Small Woolwich Vesta for sale

Featured Posts

Hi,

This message should probably be in the "For Sale" section but thought it would get more response here.

A friend of mine is reluctantly selling the Small Woolwich motor Vesta, shortened to 45ft for Stewarts and Lloyds in 1947. To see the advert click the link below

Vesta advert

DSC02980.jpg

Kind Regards

Matt

Sickle

I was tempted for a moment there and then i noticed the electric start on the National.

Sacrilege.

mind you a little envious of the intact wick oilers.

Having had to hand start on our normally electric start DM2 on Fulbourne recently and knackering myself I would say that electric start is a definate selling point!

However the asking price is not.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Having had to hand start on our normally electric start DM2 on Fulbourne recently and knackering myself I would say that electric start is a definate selling point!

However the asking price is not.

Tim

Electric start on a National is a bl**dy good idea, especially in the winter. Some engines may have had electric start fitted in the past as an alternative to a proper overhaul. No, I'm not in any way suggesting that applies in this case.

Nice looking boat, though I'm not too keen on Northwich style handrails on a Woolwich cabin. To be honest I'm not a fan of that style of handrail on any cabin, but they do at least belong on a Northwich cabin.

Tim

A friend of mine is reluctantly selling the Small Woolwich motor Vesta, shortened to 45ft for Stewarts and Lloyds in 1947. To see the advert click the link below

Vesta advert

Nice boat and an excellent website - I'm not looking to buy another boat just now but I shall certainly come back to your informative website.

I was tempted for a moment there and then i noticed the electric start on the National.

Sacrilege.

Any more sacrilege than a steel bottom in a composite boat ? Or the steel boatman's cabin ?

My head is obviously too easily turned - I think she looks gorgeous, despite all the non original bits, (and the small matter of around 30 feet missing, of course).

I just wish I was rich, although I think I covet Sickle even more!.....

That's part of the joy of National ownership, I can turn mine over at full strength exactly twice and then i have to rest for an hour.

When i reconditioned the valves, we had a team of 3 taking turns to turn it over. Took over an hour. The engineer just watched, saying 'keep at it, it will start'. he was right, i would have given up long before.

Yes, i would like electric start too! especially for rebuilds

Anyone know of anyone who could do that kind of flywheel machining?

That's part of the joy of National ownership, I can turn mine over at full strength exactly twice and then i have to rest for an hour.

When i reconditioned the valves, we had a team of 3 taking turns to turn it over. Took over an hour. The engineer just watched, saying 'keep at it, it will start'. he was right, i would have given up long before.

Yes, i would like electric start too! especially for rebuilds

Anyone know of anyone who could do that kind of flywheel machining?

I've done it for a JP3, also made the ring gear to suit, though my lathe isn't quite big enough to swing that size of flywheel.

Look at

http://web.onetel.com/~duttondock/Index/Li...IndexLister.htm

for some info.

Tim

Hi,

This message should probably be in the "For Sale" section but thought it would get more response here.

Vesta advert

DSC02980.jpg

Kind Regards

Matt

Sickle

Thanks Matt. But this illustrates inflation or the increased interest in derelict canals thanks to the IWA. I paid Stewart and LLoyds £200 for 'Vesta' with two reconditioned spare Nationals and 700 gallons of oil. Should have purchased the fleet. Good Luck Max.

Thanks Matt. But this illustrates inflation or the increased interest in derelict canals thanks to the IWA. I paid Stewart and LLoyds £200 for 'Vesta' with two reconditioned spare Nationals and 700 gallons of oil. Should have purchased the fleet. Good Luck Max.

Great story, Max.

Already owning a shortened BCN boat that had been used by Stewart & Lloyds at Coombeswood, I approached them in the early 1970s with a view to trying to secure an uncut one, (by that date I think there was only one tug left there, but I may be wrong).

I got the answer that "no decision had been made yet on the future of their remaining boats", and that they would put me on file, and contact me if they were going to be disposed of.

Needless to say, they never did.

I seem to remember many of the boats there were wooden, but perhaps the memory plays tricks with time.