Advice needed - new 12/s40v tv which lead?

TerryH

Featured Posts

Hi, just purchased new 15in TV from Comet. Which is 12v output but I have only a 3 pin plug with the TV. Went to Maplins to get lead with Cigarette ligher plug. However, the TV is 4 Amp output which Maplins do not sell.

Questions

Is 4 amp TV OK on NB?

If so, where do I get the right lead from?

Thanks

I assume you mean TV has a power input, (not output), which is 12 volts DC, at a rated 4 amps ?

As your "12 volts" on a boat can be anything up to 15 volts in reality, (particularly if the engine is running), you will find a strong split in opinions on the forum between those who say it's perfectly safe to pump 15 volts into the TV, and those who claim to have damaged one by doing so.

If you search, you will find several threads on this point.

Personally I wouldn't risk it, and use the Amperor converter that will not only regulate volts if too high, but will also boost them if too low, (for example if the supplying cable has a significant volts drop).

http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/products/12v_Stabiliser.asp

It does cost around 40 quid though, and some claim it's all smoke and mirrors, and just a marketing con.

You make your own mind up! It depends how much you value your telly, and I suppose if you are prepared to tell some porkies if you end up making a warranty claim.

Alan

Edited by alan_fincher

I assume you mean TV has a power input, (not output), which is 12 volts DC, at a rated 4 amps ?

As your "12 volts" on a boat can be anything up to 15 volts in reality, (particularly if the engine is running), you will find a strong split in opinions on the forum between those who say it's perfectly safe to pump 15 volts into the TV, and those who claim to have damaged one by doing so.

If you search, you will find several threads on this point.

Personally I wouldn't risk it, and use the Amperor converter that will not only regulate volts if too high, but will also boost them if too low, (for example if the supplying cable has a significant volts drop).

http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/products/12v_Stabiliser.asp

It does cost around 40 quid though, and some claim it's all smoke and mirrors, and just a marketing con.

Not those who have seen their new 200 quid telly go up in smoke :lol:

You make your own mind up! It depends how much you value your telly, and I suppose if you are prepared to tell some porkies if you end up making a warranty claim.

Alan

I'm with Alan on this one. Get a regulator. It's true that many people run them without one with no problems (me included but I wouldn't recommend others do it). It is also true that many have gone up in smoke running directly from the batteries.

Gibbo