Liverpool Canal Link

MartinClark

Featured Posts

red can you throw any light on the wharf in the link above.its on the map in the story.

the boat i refered to earlier is the maggie joe and not maggie may , it was at runcorn top lock this morning and will be in lymm tomorrow for another report about north west canals and the folk along them.

yesterday they had a boat painter "rose and castles" who does courses at ellesmere and today someone "tom brown"? from the runcorn lock restoration group .

these reports on radio merseyside morning show "snelly" 8-20 am ish and the drive time around 6-7 pm.

Edited by gaggle

as you pass on the way to the link you travel past here

http://www.litherland-digital.co.uk/album_...agedy_1896.html

the map of the area shows a wharf ,can anyone tell say what the wharf was used for.

The wharf was almost certainly for manure. Night soil and street sweepings were an important traffic between Liverpool and the farms of West Lancashire, with 150,000 tons being carried annually in the late nineteenth century. Boats used in the trade had double bulkheads to make the cabins less smelly, though boatmen I have talked to said that following such a boat was not the most pleasant occupation. The last manure boats operated around 1950 from Bootle.

Gorsey Lane had a second wharf, on the offside of the canal. This was built in the second world war so that boats did not have to make the difficult journey into Liverpool, down the locks and into the docks during the blitz. Instead, goods from the docks were carried by road to Gorsey Lane for onward delivery by canal.

• 1 month later...

The Liverpool Canal Link saw its first day of routine operation today.

A few weeks ago a convoy of boats passed through the link in a flurry of publicity as part of the official opening of the link. However, there was still some finishing-off to be done before the link could be opened up for daily use.

That daily use started today, with four narrowboats and one wide beamed boat travelling down from Eldonian Village, where they had moored overnight, down the four locks of the Stanley Dock branch, through Stanley, Collinwood and Salisbury Docks, then through Trafalgar, East Waterloo and Princes Dock, through a new lock and tunnel to the much-photographed section across the Pier Head.

lp652.jpg

The boats then passed through a new lock into Canning Dock, before travelling through the famous Albert Dock to reach the new mooring pontoons in Salthouse Dock.

[read more]

lp686.jpg

A brand new Virtual Journey along along the Liverpool Canal Link will appear on Pennine Waterways website in a few days. At the same time the Virtual Journey between Wigan and Liverpool will be completely revised with new and better photos.

As they are being brought though by BWW. any idea as to their timetable .

I have friends coming up to stay ( I live in Liverpool ) and would like to take

them to the Pierhead when the boats are around either coming in or going out

as it will add so much to the water front

Do people think BWW will relax the 6 boats in 6 out policy when the system is

really proven, it just seems a bit over the top, and the night stop over requirement

at Eldonian and then a fully chaperoned passage, a bit nursey school I think

Ian

Edited by Ian B

As they are being brought though by BWW. any idea as to their timetable .

I have friends coming up to stay ( I live in Liverpool ) and would like to take

them to the Pierhead when the boats are around either coming in or going out

as it will add so much

Do people think BWW will relax the 6 boats in 6 out policy when the system is

really proven, it just seems a bit over the top, and the night stop over requirement

at Eldonian and then a fully chaperoned passge, a bit nrsey school I think

Ian

We are booked for June and have to be at Bridge 9 at 7.45am, and on return be ready in Salthouse dock at 11.30am.

BW have said this year is a trial and they will review at the end of the season. Hope that is of help.

Angela.

I have to be at bridge 9 "upstream" at 7-45 pm , yes PM to go through , this could be one of the glitches that need to be sorted out .

i would expect to reach eldonian village about 1 o,clock in the morning and as no mention is made of mooring overnight in eldonian village i look forward to going down the stanley lock flight in the darkness of the night.

I will now make plans to get all my rope lights out of my chrimbo decorations box to light up the boat on this night cruise , anyone else going on the 25th may wishing to follow suit so we can light up the docks.