Old Plugs and Sockets

aread2

Featured Posts

I've just acquired a tunnel lamp on fleabay. The trouble is it has an archaic electrical connection. It's an external version of a BS 546 2 Amp 2 pin socket - what became the modern shaver plug. I need to find a BS 456 2 Amp 2 Pin plug to fit or I'll have to replace it entirely with a modern connector. I'd like to find a plug to fit if I can. I've tried google and all kinds of searches but to no avail. Nobody makes anything that will fit the socket. Here it is:

Connector002.jpg

The centre is the obligatory bakelite, the surround it black rubber. I'd expect the plug to have a prominent rubber shroud projecting at least as far as the pins. If anybody knows where I can get such a plug I'd be really grateful to know.

I've just acquired a tunnel lamp on fleabay. The trouble is it has an archaic electrical connection. It's an external version of a BS 546 2 Amp 2 pin socket - what became the modern shaver plug. I need to find a BS 456 2 Amp 2 Pin plug to fit or I'll have to replace it entirely with a modern connector. I'd like to find a plug to fit if I can. I've tried google and all kinds of searches but to no avail. Nobody makes anything that will fit the socket. The centre is the obligatory bakelite, the surround it black rubber. I'd expect the plug to have a prominent rubber shroud projecting at least as far as the pins. If anybody knows where I can get such a plug I'd be really grateful to know.

If you struggle, it may be possible to find two separate plugs that fit into the socket, what diameter are the receptacles (would 4mm plugs fit for instance?). Not sure how you would hold them in!

I am assuming its 12v ? you really dont want 240v poking out like that !

Yes, I thought that it's not too clever, even at 12 volts.

Whilst you might find a 2-pin plug that will fit, I very much doubt you will find one with a shroud round the outside, both of the right internal diameter, and "longer" than the pins.

So your 12 volts will be vulnerable to a touching something earthed if the plug becomes disconnected. I guess you'll have a fuse or circuit breaker in there, but in an ideal world, clearly the male part of the arrangement would be on the lamp, and the attaching socket would be female.

I don't suppose those holes are at the separation of a continental mains plug, are they ?

Alan

Edited by alan_fincher

It's 1950s mains technology. If I could find a plug to fit I'd put it on a short wire with a plug to fit a socket on the boat. I can't find the proper plug so I'll replace it with something contemporary.