Electric bicycle

larkshall

Featured Posts

They are very good. They should be term electric assistance really and I have a local emporium that imports them from Holland. They do make life easy when you have to carry alot of shopping. You can get folding ones as well.

Hi there,

I have an electric folding bike, but the folding is far more useful than the electric! Unless you are pretty miniscule it really just assists you and if you need it for the towpath you dont tend to have cause to use it....although I did take mine to the woods and the dog thought it was fantasitc that I could move soo very fast, which it can do when assisted!

The assisted is useful for hills etc but I would say its uses were limited, after spending £300 on a second hand model..it has got nice wheels though...... :wub:

I have a Brompton (I think the best folding bike and its British) It has been converted to electric assisted - and it is excellent. It is not cheap but I think it is a real alternative to the car for local travel (loads not accounted for) Also ideal for the bike or those who move their boat around the system.

See my blog for a little more detail and some photo's

Nevs blog about the electric Brompton

Take care

Nev

I have a Brompton (I think the best folding bike and its British) It has been converted to electric assisted - and it is excellent. It is not cheap but I think it is a real alternative to the car for local travel (loads not accounted for) Also ideal for the bike or those who move their boat around the system.

See my blog for a little more detail and some photo's

Nevs blog about the electric Brompton

Take care

Nev

how much faster are they to normal cycling? I cycle to work everyday - it's 6 or so miles here and back. my bike cost me 40 quid second hand (an oldish specialized stumpjumper).

It depends . . .

All electric bikes in the UK have to have a speed limiter, so that the electric motor can only boost you up to 15mph. Now that's plenty fast enough for popping down to the shops, a tour of an area etc. It's also very very useful if you are going to carry or tow a lot of shopping.

It's not fast compared to someone who cycles a lot. I'm no athlete, but even I average over 15mph when riding to work. I considered getting an electric bike to help me with my long ride in, but the limited range of the bikes and limited speed put me off. Horses for courses, really.

It depends . . .

All electric bikes in the UK have to have a speed limiter, so that the electric motor can only boost you up to 15mph. Now that's plenty fast enough for popping down to the shops, a tour of an area etc. It's also very very useful if you are going to carry or tow a lot of shopping.

It's not fast compared to someone who cycles a lot. I'm no athlete, but even I average over 15mph when riding to work. I considered getting an electric bike to help me with my long ride in, but the limited range of the bikes and limited speed put me off. Horses for courses, really.

right, so the bikes don't go to fast them really.

Eh?! What's this electric bike nonsense? :D

I cycle 13 mile each way to work every day, rain or shine (to work on bicycle magazines!).

I reckon you're better off spending the extra dosh on a better bike - especially if leccy ones only do 15mph!!!

right, so the bikes don't go to fast them really.

I have a electric folding bike & ive used it to go to work on 3 miles each way i think its quicker

than a push bike & it had plenty of charge left in it to last the week its very quick considering

that im a bit on the large side.

faithhealer

my bike cost me 40 quid second hand (an oldish specialized stumpjumper).

My goodness - that sounds like the kind of deal I can never secure!

You can't get hold of another at that price, can you ? :D

I see an increasing number of electric bikes around. If it means people who otherwise wouldn't ride a bike are leaving their cars at home, then, for me, that's good enough justification for their existence.

Now an electric Brompton, that really does sound a useful beast....

The best thing about the Brompton is that I can cycle in my work suit and arrive at work without a sweat. I also go intersite on it for the same reason.

A very good bit of kit

Not tried it on the towpath yet but I am sure it will perform very well based on the use I have put it to to date.

Nev

My goodness - that sounds like the kind of deal I can never secure!

You can't get hold of another at that price, can you ? :D

I see an increasing number of electric bikes around. If it means people who otherwise wouldn't ride a bike are leaving their cars at home, then, for me, that's good enough justification for their existence.

Now an electric Brompton, that really does sound a useful beast....