Freesat TV

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I read this with interest. I cleared off all the channels and downloaded from scratch, off Astra, Astra 1A, Astra 2A, and Astra 3A. Net result: the Channel 4 and 4 + 1 is still the encrypted version, and I have lost ITV 2 and 4 and also Film Four. No amount of piddling about has succeeded in getting them back again. My digibox came from Maplins - a Fortec Star Lifetime II to be exact. I went through the myriad number of channels with no proper ID but there's nothing there. Any ideas?

For some, currently odd, reason Channel Four is "8350" - at least on my Maplin supplied Comag SL65/12 (Portable Suitcase set) - Channel Four OK since I moved and had to repositiion the dish.

I don't understand the Astra distinctions either, but they are there, on the one satellite. I could play around with the dish a bit, but it seems odd to me that I get all the other channels without any problem, and did get Film 4, ITV 2 & 4 as well.

Astra 2D at 28.2E is the one to look at for Ch4. Check out Lyngsat Astra 2D. A valuable source for us travellers with dishes.

Those folk with GPS can also use Dishpointer to show them where to point the dish.

You could use the above posts to actually add the channel manually, for which you would have to consult the manual, but should work if you are actually on the right satellite.

Jas

Astra 2D at 28.2E is the one to look at for Ch4. Check out Lyngsat Astra 2D. A valuable source for us travellers with dishes.

Those folk with GPS can also use Dishpointer to show them where to point the dish.

You could use the above posts to actually add the channel manually, for which you would have to consult the manual, but should work if you are actually on the right satellite.

Jas

Hmmm - thanks for the link. I'm still confused. When I go into the installation menu of the digibox there's lots of satellites listed, and a signal strength bar to show whether the satellite you pick is being received. The Astra choices it offers are Astra, Astra 1A, 2A, and 3A. No 2D though. All these are the same latitude aren't they? 28.2E. So how do I find Astra 2D?

...The Astra choices it offers are Astra, Astra 1A, 2A, and 3A. No 2D though. All these are the same latitude aren't they? 28.2E. So how do I find Astra 2D?

The Fortec should have a 'blind scan' facility, I think they call it 'powerscan'. If you use that, you won't need an up to date transponder list, as the the receiver will find all the available transponders by itself. Failing that you can add the transponders from Lyngsat manually (follow book instructions again).

First step - blind scan.

J

The Fortec should have a 'blind scan' facility, I think they call it 'powerscan'. If you use that, you won't need an up to date transponder list, as the the receiver will find all the available transponders by itself. Failing that you can add the transponders from Lyngsat manually (follow book instructions again).

First step - blind scan.

J

Thanks ITA. "Blind scan" no good, but having messed about with choosing a transponder with the strongest signal and doing a TP search, I now have more channels than I can shake a stick at, including Channel 4. The Fortec manual is a bit difficult as written it is being most properly misunsterstoodly - i.e the English is pretty weird! Still, not as good as the manual for my Kerstan dish, which talks about placing the dish on a wallwinkle, by which I presume they mean windowsill.

Cheers, mate.

Edited by Dominic M

• 1 month later...
For those with sat boxes with old firmware, if you can enter the transponder manually put in

Frequency = 10.729

Polarity = Vertical

Symbol Rate = 22000

And that should get you all the "4" FTA channels

Hi

Finging the sat.

I read some where that once you have goodish picture put a damp teatowl ( or simular ) over the dish this cut down the signal so you can fine tune its direction.

It works ever time for me.

I see maplins are selling hand help sat finders that you can wave around to find the sat has anyone tryed one ?

Thanks

ADE

On the terrestrial freeview you receive a detailed on-air programme guide. Is this not available on freesat? I can only get a guide to what's on now, and then the programme immediately afterwards, with nothing more than just the title. And even then the "EPG" often leaves half the channels blank - sometimes all of them.

On the terrestrial freeview you receive a detailed on-air programme guide. Is this not available on freesat? I can only get a guide to what's on now, and then the programme immediately afterwards, with nothing more than just the title. And even then the "EPG" often leaves half the channels blank - sometimes all of them.

If you get one of the new Licenced Freesat boxes (see here) then you get the full 7-EPG similar to Freeview, the other FTA kits like the infamous Maplin Suitcase one only get the "Now and Next" info.

If you get one of the new Licenced Freesat boxes (see here) then you get the full 7-EPG similar to Freeview, the other FTA kits like the infamous Maplin Suitcase one only get the "Now and Next" info.

Thanks for solving that little conundrum for me Chris. As my box works I'll rely on the info published in the fish 'n chip wrappers for the time being in that case.

There are 3 providers - 1 terrestrial = freeview and 2 satellite = freesat and freesatfromsky each with their own boxes and EPG. Maplin and others sell other branded satellite boxes for both SD and HD - some of the latter capable of receiving ITV HD with an appropriate firmware update. The Maplin boxes only have now and next on 28.2 E but on other satellites this may be a fuller multi-day EPG. Freesat boxes will need non freesat FTA channels added one transponder at a time whilst the non-freesat FTA boxes may scan for all unencrypted channels. Solution: - use a freesat HD box and Maplin style FTA box for all non-freesat?

Edited by RobinR

• 5 months later...

Just thought I would give a quick update.

This week I went mad (well madder) and purchased a new HD TV (from Tesco 22" £199.00) and HD Freesat receiver (From Argos £119) and can report it works great with my Maplins Camping dish. The picture is fantastic HD is like another new world. I can get about 150 channels and should I want can plan my viewing well in advance with the guide.

Just thought I would give a quick update.

This week I went mad (well madder) and purchased a new HD TV (from Tesco 22" £199.00) and HD Freesat receiver (From Argos £119) and can report it works great with my Maplins Camping dish. The picture is fantastic HD is like another new world. I can get about 150 channels and should I want can plan my viewing well in advance with the guide.

What brand Freesat box did you get? I want to get a Humax one, as I have been told it's the best of the Freesat boxes... :lol:

What brand Freesat box did you get? I want to get a Humax one, as I have been told it's the best of the Freesat boxes... :lol:

If their new 'Foxsat' (http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/pr...e_foxsathdr.asp) recorder is as good as their Freeview PVR then they'll be VERY good.

Do these 'freesat' box's keep their settings & guide info when power down?

and if not, how long to they take to set up again?

aaand do they have a good signal strength page to aid aligning up a portable dish?

As they're effectively "Proper" boxes (when compared to sky boxes), they will hold their settings if powered off, just as a freeview or cable box will have retained the settings and favourites... :lol:

The Humax is supposed to be the best for signal, however I haven't had a chance to test this with my portable dish, but try the link I posted and have a nosey round their forum, I'm sure they have it all somewhere in the Freesat section... :lol:

I bought a Grundig.

I also bought from Maplins Satfinder it was on special for £19.99 it is very sensative and means I can find the satelite without having to plug in the TV and receiver as it works with a battery and ensures that when I get round to plugging in TV and Receiver I have a good signal for me being on my own and not having anyone available to look at the TV signal and let me know how things are it is ideal, also I am no techy so it is very easy.