Cambridgeshire Moorings

Bones

Featured Posts

Someone I know is looking into buying a boat and will want to moor it in the Cambridgeshire area initially. I was wondering if anyone knew what the mooring situation was like there, and where he can start looking?

Someone I know is looking into buying a boat and will want to moor it in the Cambridgeshire area initially. I was wondering if anyone knew what the mooring situation was like there, and where he can start looking?

THings are tight at the moment. Most marinas around Cambridge itself are full or getting there. Cambridge moorings require a wait of a few years until you're at the top of the waiting list. St. Neots, Huntingdon, Ely have more moorings. As it's rivers there's no towpath mooring and bridgehopping either.

We're finding it difficult to get anywhere near Cambridge, but to be fair there are some places further away.

(There's a real or virtual pint for anyone who can find us a 50' mooring that's close to Cambridge!)

THings are tight at the moment. Most marinas around Cambridge itself are full or getting there. Cambridge moorings require a wait of a few years until you're at the top of the waiting list. St. Neots, Huntingdon, Ely have more moorings. As it's rivers there's no towpath mooring and bridgehopping either.

We're finding it difficult to get anywhere near Cambridge, but to be fair there are some places further away.

(There's a real or virtual pint for anyone who can find us a 50' mooring that's close to Cambridge!)

they don't need to be in cambridge itself and they have mentioned Wisbeach area. So, it looks as though Ely may have moorings?! Where shall I send them to look?

they don't need to be in cambridge itself and they have mentioned Wisbeach area. So, it looks as though Ely may have moorings?! Where shall I send them to look?

They could look at Bill Fen Marina, Ramsey, NE of Huntingdon. I don't know of there are available spaces ATM, but I've heard whispers of an extension, so there may be a chance for the future, even if there's nothing now.

MoominPapa (Happy Bill Fen moorer, no other connection.)

What defines Cambridgeshire? It would seem that you really mean Cambridge and that, as has already been mentioned, is asking for the moon. However, if you are prepared to consider a wider area why not consider Bill Fen Marina, Ramsey and join the Moumins. It is very free and easy but secure. On the other hand there was a plot of land on the Ouse advertised for sale recently c/w a newish building, a mooring and road access so if you are talking long term that might be the way to go. In any event very good luck

What defines Cambridgeshire? It would seem that you really mean Cambridge and that, as has already been mentioned, is asking for the moon. However, if you are prepared to consider a wider area why not consider Bill Fen Marina, Ramsey and join the Moumins. It is very free and easy but secure. On the other hand there was a plot of land on the Ouse advertised for sale recently c/w a newish building, a mooring and road access so if you are talking long term that might be the way to go. In any event very good luck.

Edited to say the Moumins beat me to it and sorry about the double post.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

What defines Cambridgeshire? It would seem that you really mean Cambridge and that, as has already been mentioned, is asking for the moon. However, if you are prepared to consider a wider area why not consider Bill Fen Marina, Ramsey and join the Moumins. It is very free and easy but secure. On the other hand there was a plot of land on the Ouse advertised for sale recently c/w a newish building, a mooring and road access so if you are talking long term that might be the way to go. In any event very good luck

What defines Cambridgeshire? It would seem that you really mean Cambridge and that, as has already been mentioned, is asking for the moon. However, if you are prepared to consider a wider area why not consider Bill Fen Marina, Ramsey and join the Moumins. It is very free and easy but secure. On the other hand there was a plot of land on the Ouse advertised for sale recently c/w a newish building, a mooring and road access so if you are talking long term that might be the way to go. In any event very good luck.

Edited to say the Moumins beat me to it and sorry about the double post.

I mean cambridgeshire, not cambridge! Ramsey sounds good - I will pass the message on! Thanks.

There were vacancies at Earith last time I heard. They could try Charlie Fox's marina in March. There are also moorings at Floods Ferry but no idea whether any are vacant. I would reckon that if you take a boat to the Middle Levels you will find a mooring simply by turning up and pleading!

I haven't mentioned Bill Fen as it has already been spoken for, but it is a nice place and Ramsey is an interesting old town. I remember that the magnificent church there has William Morris stained glass windows.

Dominic

Yes, try Bill Fen at Ramsey: it's cheap, friendly, beautifully set out and pretty laid back (they even put up with us). There is an extension planned but not dug out yet. We did moor at Westview Marina, Earith which is another friendly, family run place I'd recommend. Hermitage Marina is a small one just down the road from there but some say a bit grumpy (who knows). Fox's at March is big and fully equipped but a bit more costly and there's a big plastic boat marina at Ely plus a few other smaller basins on the Old West River bit of the Great Ouse between Ely and Cambridge/Earith. There's another marina at Isleham near Mildenhall I recall.

Most are full - or at least that's what they will say to the casual enquirer. But if you are seriously looking you need to call in and chat so they can decide if they like you! Something on the Middle Levels is almost certainly the best bet for price, a flexible attitude and so on.

I'm moored at the Cathedral Marina slap bang in the middle of Ely, a short walk from the railway station, shops and pubs.

It is expensive though, but all facilities are on offer (showers, electircity, parking etc).

There are one or two live-aboards moored there already.

You'll find their contact details here: http://www.jalsea.co.uk/ely_marine.htm

Do ask me if you want to know more.

Cheers,

Gordon

I looked at moorings in this area back in 06 as I thought of moving the boat onto the Great Ouse for a bit, as it would be closer to home. At that time the only place I found that actually had any spaces was Hermitage at Earith.

However, a quick scan through the imray 'great ouse' guide produced the following list!

Great Ouse

Littleport Boathaven

Ely Cathedral

Fish & Duck Marina, Popes Corner

Hermitage Marina, Earith

Quiet Waters Marina, Earith

Westview Marina, Earith

Pike & Eel Marina, nr needingworth

The boathaven, St Ives

Hartford Marina

Huntingdon Boathaven

Buckden Marina

Crosshall Marina, St Neots

St Neots Marina

River Cam

Upware Marina

Tiptree marina

Shrubbs Wharf, nr swaffham lode

I am moored at Upware marina on the Cam and there are a couple of people moving off. Its worth calling in to see the owner, Colin, at the bungalow. Its about 20 minutes drive from Cambridge. Telephone is 01353 721930

Tiptree Marina also on the Cam is a possibility, as is Popes Corner Marina. Owner is a bit miserable but so are all of them! Isleham I believe is adding new moorings and has a large residential community. Cathedral Marina in Ely already mentioned is not cheap and the residential boats are not officially residential so may find later problems. One of them is a good friend who paid in advance for a mooring on the owners new planned marina, but he upset the locals, couildn't get planning so allowed my friend a 'temporary' mooring in Ely.

Finally there is Littleport Marina near Ely and Hermitage at Earith, already mentioned. Hermitage is surrounded by busy roads and next to a traveller site which sometimes gives problems. Oh and I nearly forgot the huge residential marina at Hartford, Huntingdon, which is very expensive and has all the latest facilities.

Roger Gunkel