Stove Questions

Featured Posts

We have just had a Boatman Stove fitted by Eddy at Northern Fabrications and I have a couple of questions...

The 6 inch collar on the roof is in an unprotected, original state and yesterday, even after about 10 minutes little spots of rust started to appear. I'd like to get this protected as soon as possible... is it okay to use normal paint or should it be heatproof stuff?

On the back two feet of the stove are two legs with a small hole in which are there for you to use to secure it to the base. Because we can only fix it from the top side, what can be used to secure this down? The stove is sat on tiles which is sat on heatproof board which is sat on plywood.

The flue inside the boat is also in the original state although it has been degreased after cutting to the correct size and shape. We do have some stuff we used for blacking the Squirrel in the main cabin, so do you use this to black the flue or is there something else which I should be using?

Thanks in advance :D

We have just had a Boatman Stove fitted by Eddy at Northern Fabrications and I have a couple of questions...

The 6 inch collar on the roof is in an unprotected, original state and yesterday, even after about 10 minutes little spots of rust started to appear. I'd like to get this protected as soon as possible... is it okay to use normal paint or should it be heatproof stuff?

On the back two feet of the stove are two legs with a small hole in which are there for you to use to secure it to the base. Because we can only fix it from the top side, what can be used to secure this down? The stove is sat on tiles which is sat on heatproof board which is sat on plywood.

The flue inside the boat is also in the original state although it has been degreased after cutting to the correct size and shape. We do have some stuff we used for blacking the Squirrel in the main cabin, so do you use this to black the flue or is there something else which I should be using?

Thanks in advance :D

You need to fasten it down. This is going to be virtually impossible now that it is installed in the boat. On my last boat I put the stove in place before I attached the chimney, marked the holes, took the stove out and drilled through the tiles with a 6mm masonry drill, drilled pilot holes into the ply and then replaced the stove. I used 6mm coach screws to fasten it down as they there was more room to use a spanner than a screwdriver.

On my new (to me) boat, the stove was not fastened down and was hanging by a couple of mm by the chimney when it was cold. I could not get to drill the holes so I made some brackets from angle iron and fastened them down so that the stove coudn't move laterally. I believe the Boatman stove is all steel apart from the door so you could weld the brackets to the legs once they were fastened down.

You need to fasten it down. This is going to be virtually impossible now that it is installed in the boat. On my last boat I put the stove in place before I attached the chimney, marked the holes, took the stove out and drilled through the tiles with a 6mm masonry drill, drilled pilot holes into the ply and then replaced the stove. I used 6mm coach screws to fasten it down as they there was more room to use a spanner than a screwdriver.

On my new (to me) boat, the stove was not fastened down and was hanging by a couple of mm by the chimney when it was cold. I could not get to drill the holes so I made some brackets from angle iron and fastened them down so that the stove coudn't move laterally. I believe the Boatman stove is all steel apart from the door so you could weld the brackets to the legs once they were fastened down.

Although everything is in place, it's just sat loosely, nothing has been secured yet - well apart from the top collar which has been bolted in place and sealed.

The fire can be moved around where it is now on the tiles... the flue is sat in the collar on tope of the stove and leaning against the inside of the top collar - it hasn't been fixed. I'm okay with marking the position once the stove is lined up and also drilling through the tiles and wood but it's what to use to secure it. I know it needs to be secured - the last thing I want is a hot stove rolling around the back cabin if it came loose! It's just to use though... are normal screws enough? It's just that I can't get to the otherside of the wood so a nut and bolt arrangement is out of the question.

Although everything is in place, it's just sat loosely, nothing has been secured yet - well apart from the top collar which has been bolted in place and sealed.

The fire can be moved around where it is now on the tiles... the flue is sat in the collar on tope of the stove and leaning against the inside of the top collar - it hasn't been fixed. I'm okay with marking the position once the stove is lined up and also drilling through the tiles and wood but it's what to use to secure it. I know it needs to be secured - the last thing I want is a hot stove rolling around the back cabin if it came loose! It's just to use though... are normal screws enough? It's just that I can't get to the otherside of the wood so a nut and bolt arrangement is out of the question.

As I said, coach screws will do the job. All you need to do is to stop it moving. Two 5mm or 6mm ones will be strong enough. I've seen stoves fastened down with ordinary 8 gauge screws.

As I said, coach screws will do the job. All you need to do is to stop it moving. Two 5mm or 6mm ones will be strong enough. I've seen stoves fastened down with ordinary 8 gauge screws.

Ah, apologies, I missed the coach screws comment. I have done a quick Google and those look ideal... now to get the right size...

Many thanks.

I painted our coller (having striped off the old mess) with the same primer and aluminum epoxy the rest of the boat is primed in, followed by a quick coat of aerosol stove blacking.

- However im sure exhast manifold paint is more than upto the job too.

- It is of cause heavly incontact with the steelwork, so in practice never gets very hot, but proberbly enough to soften standard paint.

Daniel

Thanks Dan. I think it'll just be primered for now, even though that's not ideal as I just want to get the thing in now... I really could of done with it on Saturday night, was freezing! Had a quick look around on the interweb and have found some decent coach screws along with the other bits and pieces that I'll need.

With a bit of luck I shall be nice and toasty in the back cabin this weekend! :D