Selling your own fit out....

Tusses

Featured Posts

I have only ever given my CoC and Insurance - nothing has been said about anything else required ?

Is this just another BW thing to get money 'whatever' rather than sticking to the rules ?

Should I have had a BSS inspection after a year - even though the boat is unfinished and doesn't go anywhere ?

no one has told me so !

I'm surprised they didn't ask you for a BSC after the first year. Perhaps the person at BW who issued your licence thought that your Annexe III Declaration of Conformity for a Partly Completed Craft covered you for 4 years? It's a bit ambiguous but my understanding is it's only 1 year and then you have to get a BSC.

Basically you can get a BSC anytime - you just call an inspector and they will just test whatever installations you've put in, which by the sound of it isn't much so it's a formality, but I still think they'll expect to see the right fire extinguishers in your cabin and engine room.

If you tell them it's the first test they might give you an odd look but they won't question it - it's not an inspector's job to police the system. If you have managed to licence the boat without a BSC I'd just carry on until you get some installations in and then get it tested.

My only reservation about this is that should anything happen to your boat, your insurance company might use the fact that you've got no current BSC to get out of paying up - you know what they're like - any excuse.

Edited by blackrose

I'm surprised they didn't ask you for a BSC after the first year. Perhaps the person at BW who issued your licence thought that your Annexe III Declaration of Conformity for a Partly Completed Craft covered you for 4 years?

I had a spate of boats last year (10 I think, where BW had logged the RCD cert. as a part fitted.

What a lot of hoops to go through so they can take the boaters money.

I think they are all sorted now and I modified my RCD Cert. to clearly state FULLY FITTED even though the releavant ISO Nos. etc were correctly listed for a fully fitted craft.

I had a spate of boats last year (10 I think, where BW had logged the RCD cert. as a part fitted.

What a lot of hoops to go through so they can take the boaters money.

I think they are all sorted now and I modified my RCD Cert. to clearly state FULLY FITTED even though the releavant ISO Nos. etc were correctly listed for a fully fitted craft.

You weren't alone!

I later went on to publicly call them a set of Muppet's who didn't know their arse from their elbow, we spoke to the guy in overall charge when he got wind and upset about what I was saying which more or less confirmed my conclusion when the best explanation he could offer was he had recently been moved sideways into the job! (On other words he had no idea what he or his department was doing or supposed to do.)

Edited by Gary Peacock