Slow Down Will You!!!!

Featured Posts

A friend of mine was telling me he had to pull over twice in 2 hours the other day to let the speed merchants pass.....you know the ones?  Up your stern gland like there's no tomorrow?

Its not on......we dont want to loose sight of the 'lets slow down and chill', aspect here, do we? ..... Do we want a watery M25?

I have been boating since I was a child and always got taught to slow down past moored boats. I am 42 now and have my own boat and that one thing that’s seems to have gone out of the window. Very few do or do to let to have affect and it is not just hired boats.

I have been boating since I was a child and always got taught to slow down past moored boats. I am 42 now and have my own boat and that one thing that’s seems to have gone out of the window. Very few do or do to let to have affect and it is not just hired boats.

This posting is untrue.Most skippers do respect moored boats and slow down accordingly. I feel very upset if I do on occasions transgress. A hidden moored boat is usually the reason. There is always going to be some bad manners on the cut but they are not very common. I stand by my earlier posting. People who wrongly stop others overtaking and those who pull out from the bank in front of you are just as bad as the speeders. Actually most boaters are kind, friendly,well mannered people who it is a pleasure to associate with. It,s only the other few.

I almost always slow down if I see a moored boat. But there is a limit isn't there ? The canals are presumably much busier now than they were a few years ago and if there are boats moored all the way down a stretch for miles on end then after a while sometimes I just 'Go' (although with a Lister Twin this is more about noise than speed). When I went through Trowbridge a couple of months ago there were boats moored back to back for over a mile. I idled for half a mile and then just lost patience as although I was enjoying the journey I was also trying to make some distance... Is this so wrong ? I'm a live aboard and although I'm in a marina at the moment I prefer being on the cut really, but as the canal gets busier if you stay on the cut you surely can't expect everyone to idle for 1/4 of the day?

Although really the only real problem with speed I've ever experienced was from grannywagons (fibreglass cruisers!) barging around on the Thames, haven't seen a problem while I have been on the K&A (although I havenb't been out much since the nice weather started).

Cheers,

Ben.

This posting is untrue.Most skippers do respect moored boats and slow down accordingly. I feel very upset if I do on occasions transgress. A hidden moored boat is usually the reason. There is always going to be some bad manners on the cut but they are not very common. I stand by my earlier posting. People who wrongly stop others overtaking and those who pull out from the bank in front of you are just as bad as the speeders. Actually most boaters are kind, friendly,well mannered people who it is a pleasure to associate with. It,s only the other few.

I am sorry you want to come on the Bridgewater canal at week end when plastic cruisers are out for the day. I think some off them think there are in the bay of Biscay not realising how much wash they are creating. I do not go that slow but often over taken over by them I just let them go past. I must agree most do slow down it just its just a few idiots that do not

In agreement with John O again on this one.

99% of the time i slow down for moored boats. The 1% equates to the odd occasion where i have been daydreaming. doesnt happen that often, but you can guarentee, when it does, i am apologetic.

In saying that, ive been bashed about by speeding boaters many a time, and have never felt the need to rush up to the deck and shout abuse.

I also agree with Nigel. (but not necessarily locks) It's so annoying when people pull out right in front of me, then toddle along at 1mph, and im stuck behind them for 3 hours. All the time, they keep turning around to see if im still there.

Don't get me wrong, if it was busy, i wouldnt expect them to wait. But when there are no other boats, why do they choose to pull out in front?

I like to go at a snails pace on occasion, but not at the expense of others.

The canals are for everyone to enjoy in there own (non-destructive) way, and i wish people would stop trying to put rules down to limit other peoples fun.

True story!

The wife of the harbour master in our marina was walking round the marina the other week and not obviously linked to a boat when a (hire) boat sped past creating a huge bow wave and knocking all the linear mooring boats around. She shouted at them to slow down past moored craft to which she got the reply, "Shut up you silly cow - we do know what we are doing, we have been on this boat the past 3 days you know!"

By the time she replied that she had been living aboard 24 hrs a day for the last 10 years - they were well gone!

I always think that some people are more patient on certain canals than others. I have a GPS system and have been yelled at for doung under 2mph past moored boats, (a dutch barge owner in one particular case,) whereas on the Ashby canal no-one seems to complain out loud about anyones speed. Over Easter I was moored up and a boat when past creating such a wash that water splashed up my windows - but still that was nothing compared to when we got over-taken by a father and son on jet skis!!

I'm affraid there's allways somebody out there that will complain, no matter how slow your going, if I'm in a bad mood, I usually reply.. "get a life ya sad git" or "its quarter past one" or even "sell your boat and get a caravan" Normally I just smile and dof me hat :P

I thought the whole idea of pleasure boating was to slow down and relax. If I want to get somewhere quickly, then I'll take my car! (I know not everyone has a car with them!)

I apppreciate that sometimes people need to get to certain places by certain times (especially in your business Nigel) BUT surely these people should ensure that they allow time for traffic. Personally (in my ideal world) I think that boating should be about relaxation. How can you relax if you are worried about time pressure? (again, Nigel I understand your needs are different).

Lets keep this on topic please.

Jon

Well, I have to agree with John Orentas and Billypownall: people dawdling along at half a knot, who will not let you pass, cause far more angst than the speeders, and are more numerous. I fully take the point about not wanting to turn the waterways into a motorway, and object strongly to those who exceed the limit or do not slow down for moored boats (or cruise at night for that matter - there are some strange people out there). But not everyone has all day to get from A to B and it is arrogant to take the view that 'I am driving at 1 mph - no-one should go faster'. I have been stuck behind boats literally for hours, going so slowly that I had to keep engaging and disengaging gear to keep back. In the end I have been so frustrated and angry that I have been ready to eat my left arm (or preferably the arm of the bloke ahead). I go boating to relax, for heavens's sake. Look behind you, and ease over if it looks as if the bloke behind wants to get past - it is no skin off your nose and you might even make a friend. Final thought: I have never had a problem when moored and past by a speeding boat since I started to use a fore spring and a back spring. Try it: it works.

Hi Jaysay, bit off topic here, I'm one of the strange ones that navigate at night, although I don't do this often, usually out of season when I'm struggling for day light hours. Has its advantages though... everybodys moored up playing cards or watching Corrie, and I have the cut to myself! Same as setting off before the birds wake up, I give a nice cheery wave to the curtain twitchers as I go past! :P

Thats the trouble with most people who do dawdle along and dont allow you to pass Jon.

When cruising at 1mph, They seem to think "I'm going at a speed I'M happy with, everyone behind me MUST be going to fast. They need to slow down, and relax".

Well the truth is, the people behind probably were relaxed. But the constant need to keep dropping to tick over, to avoid getting too close, puts them on edge.

Not everyone needs to go that slow to relax. If you choose to, fair enough, but dont force others to do the same. Just move over. And dont assume they are in a rush, just because they are catching up.

The basic rule to live by is dont force anyone to do the same as you, just because it makes you happy, Be considerate.

I.e Slow down past moored boats, and if a boat is catching you up, move over!!!!

I know boaters do at least 64,000 miles an hour. Never mind the arse what the speed limit is! Walkers also do 64,000 miles an hour and so do motorists. Welcome to Planet Earth - as it speed through the solar system not giving a shit about any of this stuff on 4mph speed limits! Yeah boaters do speed but so do motorists so its really difficult to lay down some nice rules that will satisfy everybody there'll always be law breakers and law compliers and each doing his/her own thing for various reasons. I do like to see boaters slow down a bit but I have without a doubt noticed the recent increase in private boaters speeding past moorings - the days are definitely gone when one could rest assured in the knowledge that speeding boats were nothing less than a ignorant hire boater.

Final thought:  I have never had a problem when moored and past by a speeding boat since I started to use a fore spring and a back spring.  Try it: it works.

I have to second this. I often moor in town, against a high concrete wall. Trip boats run until late at night. Without springs, its "Thump, Thump" glasses rattling. With springs there is often not even a gentle bump, just a slight surge.

Hi Jaysay.

I must plead guilty to a bit of night time cruising. A long lock free stretch on a warm summer night, there is nothing more pleasant that putting in a couple of hours after you have been in the pub, spouse gone to bed. Obviously you slow to a crawl past moored boats, I doubt if I have ever woken anyone up.

I have never understood why people say you shouldn't do it, in the working days it was common practise, that's why many bridges are painted white. Try it sometime.

Does anyone else slow down when passing a boat coming from the opposite direction?  I do, but they don't!

I sort of go through the motions but I am not sure why except perhaps on very narrow sections, it is often not a good thing to slow down too much, you tend to lose steerage.

People can't complain about being bumped around a bit if they are on the move anyway.

Oh dear wynd lass on Black Pearl sounds like one of those selfish daudlers who think it's not the done thing to do more than about 2 m.p.h. The cut is getting it's fair share of them these days. These selfish individuals are just as much a menace as the speed merchants. They think its just great to have two or three boats stacked up behind them. Just try to pass if you dare. The first straight stretch will see them weave across to the port side to put you in your place which is according to them going to be in their rear. It really is time something was done to force these crawlers to  give way. Fancy the friend of wynd lass having to give way TWICE in 2 hours. My heart bleeds for him. My GPS tells me I travel at 3.3 m.p.h. and leave little if any wash. Why should I be held up so often ?

Im not a selfish boat owner billy boy, I personally dont like speeding because of all the grief you get from moored boat owners as you pass.......you obviously dont mind that, so it looks like your skin is as thick as your head then? and arrogant to boot:)

I'm affraid there's allways somebody out there that will complain, no matter how slow your going, if I'm in a bad mood, I usually reply.. "get a life ya sad git" or "its quarter past one" or even "sell your boat and get a caravan" Normally I just smile and dof me hat  :P

Well they can abuse as much as they like now......hehehe, this time around (new boat new fella) ......and lets say, he wont stand and abuse from anyone, and who's to argue? he's a very big lad! :D

Well, I have to agree with John Orentas and Billypownall: people dawdling along at half a knot, who will not let you pass, cause far more angst than the speeders, and are more numerous.  I fully take the point about not wanting to turn the waterways into a motorway, and object strongly to those who exceed the limit or do not slow down for moored boats (or cruise at night for that matter - there are some strange people out there).  But not everyone has all day to get from A to B and it is arrogant to take the view that 'I am driving at 1 mph - no-one should go faster'.  I have been stuck behind boats literally for hours, going so slowly that I had to keep engaging and disengaging gear to keep back.  In the end I have been so frustrated and angry that I have been ready to eat my left arm (or preferably the arm of the bloke ahead). I go boating to relax, for heavens's sake.  Look behind you, and ease over if it looks as if the bloke behind wants to get past - it is no skin off your nose and you might even make a friend.  Final thought:  I have never had a problem when moored and past by a speeding boat since I started to use a fore spring and a back spring.  Try it: it works.

Im not on about doing 1mph mate im onabout if your doing 3-4mph and some arse wants to pass to go faster..............another arrogant boater...........this is becoming silly......