new boatie

tilly

Featured Posts

hi all ive just bought a new 57ft cruiser called tilly flop,and iam very new to this sold my house to go on the water

i need the relaxation of life now and i need to know lots really as i havn't got a lot of knowledge, there is so much to learn

but iam really excited about living on my boat and would love to chat to other boaters out there for some of there kind

wisdom and to meet new people ;) tilly

Hiya,

I bought my first boat 2 weeks ago and i've spent those last two weeks battling with dodgy batteries, dodgy heating, mould, condensation, gale force wind, rain, snow and stoppages!

But it's great! ;)

Almost everyone you meet by the water is friendly, they'll have a story and they'll want to know your's!

There's years of experience here on the forum too, i've learnt lots from the people here and occasionally I get a chance to help others!

Hiya,

I bought my first boat 2 weeks ago and i've spent those last two weeks battling with dodgy batteries, dodgy heating, mould, condensation, gale force wind, rain, snow and stoppages!

But it's great! :D

Almost everyone you meet by the water is friendly, they'll have a story and they'll want to know your's!

There's years of experience here on the forum too, i've learnt lots from the people here and occasionally I get a chance to help others!

hi scotty thanks for replying my god do you get mould and condensation and crappy batteries oh dear thats not good ehehe but i am sure

i will over come the problems how old is your boat and what size and are you loveing it ect ect

mine is still on dry dock at northwich as i dont move out of my house till next week ;) tilly

by the way what kind of heating have you got?

hi all ive just bought a new 57ft cruiser called tilly flop,and iam very new to this sold my house to go on the water

i need the relaxation of life now and i need to know lots really as i havn't got a lot of knowledge, there is so much to learn

but iam really excited about living on my boat and would love to chat to other boaters out there for some of there kind

wisdom and to meet new people ;) tilly

Hi Tilly,

Welcome to the forum.

This is an excellent place to pick peoples brains.

You will find that most members are extremely helpful, and very understanding of a beginners ignorance.

I am as dense as they come regards technical things and narrowboating in general, yet I have always found that my questions have been answered, no matter how 'basic' they may appear to others.

Regards,

Pav

Hi Tilly,

Welcome to the forum.

This is an excellent place to pick peoples brains.

You will find that most members are extremely helpful, and very understanding of a beginners ignorance.

I am as dense as they come regards technical things and narrowboating in general, yet I have always found that my questions have been answered, no matter how 'basic' they may appear to others.

Regards,

Pav

thanks for the reply pav very nwe to the forum so i hope you dont mind me asking you questions now and again

can you tell me what heating you have on your boat ;) tilly

hi scotty thanks for replying my god do you get mould and condensation and crappy batteries oh dear thats not good ehehe but i am sure

i will over come the problems how old is your boat and what size and are you loveing it ect ect

It's only 3yrs old but it' was sitting unused in a marina rusting and getting mouldy when I bought it.

It's a 46ft Cruiser strn I do love it, but while i'm waiting for the Thames to calm down, i'm modifying bits!

by the way what kind of heating have you got?

I did have an Alde 2928 but I think in my efforts to ignite it, i've blown it up?! ;) time will tell :D

welcome, its not all mould and rain. We get sunshine to. ( year before last I think)

lol, that ok then!

It's only 3yrs old but it' was sitting unused in a marina rusting and getting mouldy when I bought it.

It's a 46ft Cruiser strn I do love it, but while i'm waiting for the Thames to calm down, i'm modifying bits!

I did have an Alde 2928 but I think in my efforts to ignite it, i've blown it up?! ;) time will tell :D

lol, that ok then!

aww yes thanks very much scotty i think i will get a stove lol :D tilly

Hi Tilly

I hope all goes well with your boat. Our last boat was 1989 60ft cruiser that we stripped it out and refitted. We started out by having spray foam insulation put in and built it up from there. We had a morso muiti fuel stove which was great and an Alde gas boiler to the central heating which wasn't. We were never cold just using the Squirrel, even when the ice was an inch thick out side. We fitted the central heating so it could run of the engine which was really good in the day time when chugging to dry the boat out and dry washing but no good at night when it would have been more useful.(cause the engine was stopped).

Our next boat which we are just about to start to fit out will have a solid fuel stove connected to radiators and hot water tank running on the gravity system. If it does not work we will retro fit a pump. We will not bother with an Alde.

I don't know a great deal but what I do know I am willing to share.

Graham

Hi Tilly

I hope all goes well with your boat. Our last boat was 1989 60ft cruiser that we stripped it out and refitted. We started out by having spray foam insulation put in and built it up from there. We had a morso muiti fuel stove which was great and an Alde gas boiler to the central heating which wasn't. We were never cold just using the Squirrel, even when the ice was an inch thick out side. We fitted the central heating so it could run of the engine which was really good in the day time when chugging to dry the boat out and dry washing but no good at night when it would have been more useful.(cause the engine was stopped).

Our next boat which we are just about to start to fit out will have a solid fuel stove connected to radiators and hot water tank running on the gravity system. If it does not work we will retro fit a pump. We will not bother with an Alde.

I don't know a great deal but what I do know I am willing to share.

Graham

[/quo

hi graham

thanks for that info wish i had the guts to fit a boat out looks like that i am going to get a stove put in i dont think the aldi boiler runs of the engine its gas

maybe i might go through too much gas bottles so i think thats the way to go thanks graham and good luck with your new project ;)

Hello Tilly,

Welcome to the forum, there's plenty of old threads that deal with Alde boilers - you could searching for information using the search function (it's just under the 'mun' of 'A virtual waterways community' at the top on the right). Alde boilers are run on gas and thus will be expensive if you run it as your sole source of heat on the boat. If you can post some details of your new boat we might be able to help you.

I started out as a liveaboard two years ago and found that there is lots of help to be found. For myself I would check the condition of the Alde burner and the supply of gas to the boiler. If I was at all uncertain I would get an engineer in to check it out before using it. If you decide to go with a stove there is a wide choice available and all of them have good and not so good points. I run radiators off a Morso Squirrel with a back boiler which does for most of my heat needs (although on cold mornings I long for an additional source of heat) and will burn coal and wood.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask - there's a fair chance that we won't agree with each other but you can pick and choose as you need.

Just remember - two narrowboaters = three opinions!

Good Luck, Shep

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tilly,

My girlfriend and I have just purchased a 32ft cruiser, in real bad shape, we are newbies, as green as they come and havent even got it out the water to check the bottom, (too afraid). Lol. We found it on the web, had been looking for a while and went to look just for kicks, NOT TO BUY. Bought it immediately of course and have been enjoying our new hobby since. If you are owt like us, you are gonna love it, well addictive it is. And yeah on the heating question just make sure that your stove can be left on safely during the night, (ie not too near the make up bed) stoke it and sleep snug through winter.

Dont know if you are going to do any work yourself but even the decorating is a complete hoot. We recommend long summer afternoons with friends all willing to blitz the boat, with wine and a big bloke manning a bbq!! Superb,

Regards,

Jack

Hi Tilly,

Been onboard for 6 months now. I wouldn't say its been an easy start, usual teething problems with heating, electrics and renewing things that the very expensive survey appeared to have missed!!!! But in general, life is good. Don't expect to get to the relaxation bit quite so soon, you have to get used to the boat and the boat will get used to you.

Still love the lifestyle though and have every confidence that the summer is going to be the best ever - hope your going to enjoy it as much as I know we are.

Good Luck

Helen B)